Thursday, October 28, 2010

"Dante Ristorante" Plein Air Painting

I set up my easel in the parking lot right near the Artists' Atelier (my studio at 1144 Walker Road, Suite D&G, Great Falls, VA). I'm not an experienced plein air painter. There's a whole additional skill set I need to attain to "get" this, but I really wanted to work from life today, and not on a still life. Note: I'm not posting the "finished" product here. It's more than a bit messy. But here's evidence that I was out there trying. (That's my easel and painting on the right.)

I'm constantly challenging myself with new approaches. New tools. Tasks outside of my comfort zone. I always figure that I'll learn something that I can apply in future paintings. What's nice is that I allow myself the freedom to experiment and risk failure. Failure seems temporary. Just a precursor to success.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

1 comment:

Denise Rose said...

Great job! I have mostly been doing plein air lately and you are correct about it taking a whole different approach. Thanks for sharing your work!