Friday, October 22, 2010

A Lemon and Wet NYC Street Paintings

I enjoyed just painting today. Spent a short time this morning painting in my home studio this lemon and mint plant. Those two items were just part of my nesting-instincts-on-overdrive grocery shopping trip. I didn't know they were going to be models, too. I was painting on a super-smooth Ampersand board. Hence, all the paint strokes show as they sit on top of the surface. No absorption. This is one of my mini paintings. Five inches by five inches. Perhaps I chose this subject and size because I have art-empty soffits in my kitchen that might look better with a lemon painting. (How do you spell soffit?)

This afternoon, I returned to "A New York State of Mind" ... one I've been wanting to get back to for awhile. Take a trip back through my older posts to see this as a work in progress and start. By the way, this one's a large canvas -- 40" x 30" to be exact. Quite a contrast from my painting from this morning.

I had a number of pieces that were works in progress during last weekend's Studio Tour. Tourgoers loved them and were curious how I was going to finish them. This one ("New York State of Mind") still needs a lot of work ... but I guess I'm trying to answer the question by painting. I'll be working on this some more tomorrow during open studio hours at the Artists' Atelier, noon to 4pm, 1144 Walker Road, Suites D&G, Great Falls, VA 22066.

"Lemon Below", oil on Ampersand board, 5" x 5", copyright Jill Banks 2010
"A New York State of Mind" work in progress, oil on Senso linen, 40" x 30", copyright Jill Banks 2010

See my web site: www.JillBanks.com for more still lifes and city street paintings on the gallery pages.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435 

No comments: