Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Rewarding Pursuit

"Tea with Anne" -- portrait of Anne Heilman
Remarkable things keep happening. On Sunday night about 9pm, I got a call from Anne Heilman, the 100-year-old subject of my award-winning portrait "Tea with Anne." ("Tea with Anne," shown at right, won the Casey Memorial Award for a Human Family Theme at the Catharine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club's Annual Exhibition held at the National Arts Club in NYC in October 2008.) Anne's a fellow artist, friend of my mom's, and someone who has become a great supporter and follower of my art. My mom (my most avid cheerleader and great volunteer art agent) had sent Anne printouts from some of my latest blog posts including the post about being accepted into the Catharine Lorillard Wolfe exhibit this year ... and the post about painting my mom and her buddies at the Old Brogue. Anne got a huge kick out reading up on my exploits, and gave me a call.

She can't figure out how I find time to paint. (I make time for that activity -- it's priority one.) Liked the fact that I knew my new (older) house had nice bones. Loved the painting start of my mom & friends at the Brogue. Reminded me that she expects my paintings to end up in the National Gallery of Art.

It just feels good. Having people, like Anne, cheer me on. Appreciate what I do and show genuine interest in what I'm up to.

This is hard, but incredibly rewarding work. The rewards are in the process of painting, in creating something new and enjoying the finished work, in talking with people about my art, in getting someone else excited about art in general -- making it, collecting, enjoying.

I love it when someone else joins my "art clan." At my reception last month, one couple came from Gaithersburg to see my show at the Brogue, and told me seeing my work was well worth the drive. They wouldn't have missed it. Many others came from my parents' church (where my mom made an announcement about the event -- yea, mom!) and they became new supporters. One sent along a web site address of a painter who reminded him of my work ... that he wanted me to see. A fellow Great Falls Studios artist sent me an email last night with a photo of a diner scene that might inspire me. One collector has a Jill wall in her house: of artwork and postcards from my shows and framed note cards. (I get a kick out of that!) I get a lot of help and inspiration from so many... and the greatest inspiration is knowing that there are people enthusiastic about what I love to do.

It takes a lot of people to "feed" an artist -- spiritually and financially -- both important. I count my blessings. Thank you!

I hope you keep passing the word, inviting friends, family and neighbors to take a look online (on my blog or my website) or come to an event. It really helps ... and I greatly appreciate it.

Now it's time to get back to painting.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435
For info on Fall classes: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/Classes_3.html
Great Falls School of Art registration form: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/Registration_Form.html

No comments: