Wednesday, August 4, 2010

"Best in Show" in the Art League's 'Scapes Show

So cool! Last night (husband) Randy and I dropped off two paintings during receiving for the Art League's monthly juried shows ... something I haven't done for a VERY long time. This month's show is the 'Scapes show of landscapes, urban or rural. Since I took down my "Painting the Town" show this past Sunday ... I had plenty to choose from. My kind of theme.

Tonight, on my way home from the studio,  I asked Randy to call to find out if I got in and what got in. (Only one can make it.) I did get in. And won Best in Show, the Chameli and Amiya Bose Memorial Award. The winning painting: "Rainy Day in NYC", the same painting that just won an award at the Salmagundi Club's Painting and Sculpture Exhibition in NYC. The 'Scapes show juror is Joey P. Manlapaz whose bio appeared in the August Tidings, the monthly Art League newsletter.



Juror: Joey P. Manlapaz was born in the Philippines and came to the US as a young teen. She received her MFA in painting from George Washington University. Manlapaz exhibits extensively in the US and has received numerous accolades for her unique form of painterly photorealism. Her solo exhibit in Spring 2009 at the Corcoran Gallery of Art featured her Reflections series, highly complex paintings of reflections on glass storefront windows in DC. Manlapaz maintains a studio in Capitol Hill and is a faculty member at the Corcoran College of Art and Design. Her work can be viewed at www.joeymanlapaz.com.

When I came home (from plumbing fixture shopping), I looked at her web site. Interestingly, she's created a wonderful series of Reflections, scenes through windows. I'm personally fascinated with reflections. Take a look at "Through the Window" or "Randy and Me" in the Places Gallery on my web site: www.JillBanks.com. You'll see some similarities, I believe.

This is the third time I've won Best of Show at the Art League. The first was in July 2005 for "Alice with a Bad Case of Wanderlust". Second was in November 2008 in the Small Works show for "Orange Peeled."

I love the Art League. It's where I studied for years under master artists Robert Liberace and Danni Dawson, and where I took many of my first steps as a budding professional artist in their monthly juried shows. It's also where I had my first gallery solo show "Place Settings" in January 2008. (I was one of 10 solo show artists juried from the 1000+ members for 2008.) They nurture artists. That's a good thing.

Art League membership costs $70 per year and artist members can submit two pieces each month during regular receiving to be juried for exhibit. Receiving is on the first Monday of each month, 6:30-8:30pm and Tuesday, 10am-noon. (There are some exceptions. Check their web site.)

The awards reception is Thursday, August 12, 6:30-8:00pm with awards announced at 7:30pm. I hope you join me there! (There is the ART LEAGUE, 105 No. Union Street, Alexandria, VA  22314.

I was PAINTING today. Yea! You'll see progress in a post sometime on Wednesday. (Now today.)

"Rainy Day in NYC", 18"h x 24"w, oil, copyright Jill Banks 2010.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Congratulations, Jill--wonderful news! That's a great painting.

Bob said...

This is one of my favorites. Great colors and balance.