Saturday, August 21, 2010

"New York State of Mind" Painting Continues ... Plus Courses/Workshop

Busy day today.  I worked on some changes to a commission of mine in the morning before heading off to the Artists' Atelier (the studio I share with 15 or so other artists in Great Falls) for our scheduled open hours. (The studio at: 1144 Walker Road, Suites D&G, Great Falls, VA 22066 is open every Saturday, noon to 4pm and the First Friday of every month, 7-9pm.)

I decided that "New York State of Mind" (see an earlier post about this painting's development on day one) would be my project of choice for noon to 4, and swore to myself that as soon as 4 o'clock rolled around ... I'd pack up and get back to my home studio to work more on the commission. Four o'clock came and went. I ended up literally tearing myself away from the studio, and this painting at about 6:45. Knowing how much I really wanted to keep on painting, I left it there so it wouldn't lure me back to it tonight. I'd end up working on it all night long.

It is so hard to stop painting for lots of reasons.

The biggest reason for me is that even though the painting develops/evolves as I paint it, I know what it's going to look like finished from the very beginning. I have a vision of it perched in my head. I'm excited about getting there. Can't wait to see it ... on canvas ... and share it with the rest of you. I think that if I just keep painting...

It's also hard to stop because ... 1) it's so much fun and 2) as soon as I put my paintbrush down, I see something I need to change or fix.

Tomorrow: Join me for a "Sketching the Town" single-day workshop in Reston Town Center from 10am-3pm for $95 (check made out to Great Falls Foundation for the Arts and filled out registration form). Get more information on my web site on the Classes page -- but you have to send me an email at jillbanks1@aol.com to confirm that you're coming and to get the exact location.

And ... I'll be teaching two classes this Fall through the Great Falls School of Art: "Painting and Drawing the Portrait" on Mondays, 10am-1pm starting September 13 and "Still Life Painting in Oils" on Tuesdays, 10am-1pm starting September 14. Both classes cost $300 each (plus supply fee for still life objects for the still life class and model fees for the portrait class -- to be paid directly to me at the start of class) for a nine-week session. Class size is limited but there's currently room. I hope you sign up!! For the portrait class in particular, sign up in the next few days. This helps me a lot in planning for the class and hiring models. I'm looking for models for this class (and in general) ... all sorts of people ... anyone capable of holding a pose for three hours with pretty frequent breaks. Male and female, young and not-so-young, all races and ethnicity. If you happen to be a puppeteer, gardener, guitar player, writer, avid reader, bellydancer, storyteller, etc., let me know, too. I want students to paint and draw you as you.

Get more information about both classes on my web site on the Classes page. There's a link to my supply list and registration form there, too. In both courses, I teach to the student's individual level. One of the benefits of my classes for the intermediate and advanced student is I gladly pass on information on contests, workshops and learning opportunities, exhibit opportunities and practical "how to's" such as marketing ideas, framing, varnishing, studio setup, etc.

"New York State of Mind" work in progress - day two, oil on Senso linen, 40"h x 30"w, copyright Jill Banks 2010.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: