Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Painting at the Old Brogue, Day Two

Today, I pulled out my paintbrushes again at the Old Brogue Irish Pub (760 Walker Road, Great Falls, VA 22066)... where my "Painting the Town" show hangs thru July 31. This turn at my easel was a good bit more challenging than last week's. I feel a little funny posting my progress ... looks a bit like an abstract at the moment ... but I promise it will turn out just fine.

Okay, here it is.



Every time I paint, I learn a lesson. As an artist, I think all things are possible. I think I can do anything ... at least, anything art related. Every problem has a solution. I just have to figure out how and give myself a chance to learn any necessary skills. This attitude comes from creating something out of nothing on a regular basis. Each hard-earned success along the way gives me the confidence to face the next challenge. It's a great phenomena.

The lesson's coming up.

Just last week, I created my first-ever painting done from life with non-model subjects at the Brogue. That was the "Tea Party" of two women shown in yesterday's post. It worked. I could handle all the factors out of my control. I could go with the flow.

But, that was of two women. In a corner. Simple background.

So, today, for my second-ever paint it from life attempt I choose six wonderful women (my mom and her Stratford House buddies) having lunch near the window with the backdrop of Katie's coffee shop's gear and goodies. Even I have to admit that's impractical.

What I've found is that I simply cannot pass up an opportunity like painting my mom having lunch with her friends. I do not currently have the skill set I need to do a great job painting that scene in three hours with six animated subjects, but I will be able to turn this into a beautiful painting and I have their conversations to fill my brain when I work on it again ... using a ton of photo references to help guide me a bit. If I keep doing work like this ... working from life under changing circumstances ... eventually I'll have the skill set to create such a painting on the spot.

Tomorrow I'm painting there again ... this time starting at 10am, with three sons of one of the Brogue's patrons as my subjects. Should be interesting.

This life as an artist requires constant leaps of faith. I've taken so many of them,  I'm often not aware that I'm leaping. Like today. Like tomorrow.

Today's lesson: Keep jumping. 

With the show coming down on Sunday, I'm hoping that buyers of those beautiful paintings and drawings start calling and emailing me. It's time. What are you waiting for?

See you tomorrow?

You can view my "Painting the Town" show online on my web site: www.JillBanks.com and see more on my Gallery Pages.

"Mom and Friends" just barely begun, 16"h x 20'w, oil on Senso linen, copyright Jill Banks 2010.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: