Friday, July 23, 2010

Painting at the Brogue

Last Wednesday I enjoyed the day painting inside Katie's Coffeehouse at the Old Brogue ... and managed to get a nice start on a painting of two women enjoying tea in my favorite corner. Perhaps like all painting days, this one was another experiment. This is my first time painting such a scene from life without hiring the models. I wasn't asking them to stay still ... I just wanted to capture a real scene ... so I didn't know what to expect. It worked! I'm positive I'll do more of this. It's perfect for me.

I'll go back to the Brogue to paint again ... probably next Wednesday and Thursday. I'll let you know the time.

Yesterday I was working on new house stuff and printing and packaging the art cards that all my guests get (while they last) at the reception for my "Painting the Town" exhibit this coming Sunday, July 25, 2-5pm at Katie's Coffee at the Old Brogue Irish Pub, 760 Walker Road, Great Falls, VA 22066. Bring your art-loving and art-collecting family or friends! See my web site for an online view of the 13 drawings and paintings you'll find in the exhibit.

By the way ... this has been my favorite exhibit opportunity so far. The response has been overwhelming. The Old Brogue and Katie's Coffeehouse are favorite neighborhood gathering places. I love having my artwork in this wonderful spot ... in front of so many friendly eyeballs. Thanks Carmelita for setting up such a great area to paint in Wednesday and thanks Mike Kearney for giving the artists of Great Falls a place to connect to the community.

Randy and I drove up to New York today ... and in a few minutes I'm getting changed to go to the closing reception and awards ceremony at the Salmagundi Club, 47 Fifth Avenue, NYC. I'm receiving a Certificate of Merit in Oils tonight. Yea! Yea! Yea!

Note, I cropped part of myself out. That's easier than dieting. I'll give you a better view of this first day of painting as soon as I can.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: