Thursday, February 19, 2009

"Rialto Market" Painting Finished!


Okay, so I love this one. In contrast, "Pretzel Stand" just isn't working out. (See yesterday's post.) I'll give it another shot ... but after I've taken some time off away from it.

Why do I love this one? It's a great, generous painting. Dripping with color. Well balanced. Interesting composition. Great scale. Vegetable stands don't generally get this much attention -- so it's unusual as well. What do you think?

I've been preparing to enter a number of competition/exhibitions and in particular, was trying to get my entries together for the Bethesda Painting Awards. A CD with five images is due in Bethesda tomorrow and I was first trying to finish up "Pretzel Stand" as my fifth entry ... but I couldn't get it to work. Then, today I worked on "NYC Street" which I was making good progress on, but I put it aside as well. It's close to done, and you should see it here soon. It just won't be in tomorrow's package. Finally, around 4pm, I decided to put the finishing touches on "Rialto Market" instead. So, here it is.

I know I have about 12 hours left to change my mind about what to submit ... and even whether or not to submit for this particular competition. We shall see. I'll tell you tomorrow what I end up doing.

"Rialto Market", oil on Senso linen, 24"h x 36"w, copyright Jill Banks 2009. I've included a close-up as well.

No comments: