|"Pink Tulips Plus," oil, 36" x 36," ©Jill Banks 2015|
My subject material isn't waiting for me just outside. I have to shop for it or schedule visitors to my studio. In the winter, I plan vs. see what the day holds.
I wrote last of my favorite painter Sorolla and how he viewed the studio as a place to store paintings, but not to create them. While I long for some warm sunshine and new adventures, there's enjoyment to be had indoors ... with an interior that contrasts the coziness of inside vs. out or a beautiful still life with fresh flowers from somewhere else. What other indoor visual treats do you think I should paint? Suggestions are welcome.
My protagonists in "Pink Tulips Plus" sputtered for their last day as subjects in today's still life class. Time to move on.
|"Italian Vines," oil, 8"h x 10"w, ©Jill Banks 2014 was painted in the Piemonte wine region|
Events and Exhibits
- February-March: "The Art of Romance," Atelier Group Exhibition, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA.Open Wed. and Sat., noon to 4pm
- April 9 - May 1: Women Painters of the Southeast Annual Juried Exhibition, Blue Ridge, GA
- June 5-7: Rittenhouse Square: The Original Art Show, Philadelphia, PA.June 29-July 5: Telluride Plein Air, Telluride, CO. Juried as one of 32 artists who will spend the week painting this very cool town lined with Victorian houses, bustling street against a gorgeous mountainous backdrop.July 11-12: Wickford Art Festival, Wickford, RI.
- See the Events page for more info/updates
- Ongoing: Visit the studio I share with 14 other artists at the Artists’ Atelier, Great Falls, VA open Wed. and Sat.,
Subscribe to my Email Newsletter: News from the Easel