Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Winter Painting: "Pink Tulips Plus" Continued

"Pink Tulips Plus," oil, 36" x 36," ©Jill Banks 2015


The season of snow. This winter has plagued lots of our schedules and plans. It's disrupted many of my portrait and still life classes. There haven't been those sudden bursts of unexpected Spring like weather that offers the treat of days outside at my easel.

My subject material isn't waiting for me just outside. I have to shop for it or schedule visitors to my studio. In the winter, I plan vs. see what the day holds.

I wrote last of my favorite painter Sorolla and how he viewed the studio as a place to store paintings, but not to create them.  While I long for some warm sunshine and new adventures, there's enjoyment to be had indoors ... with an interior that contrasts the coziness of inside vs. out or a beautiful still life with fresh flowers from somewhere else. What other indoor visual treats do you think I should paint? Suggestions are welcome.

My protagonists in "Pink Tulips Plus" sputtered for their last day as subjects in today's still life class. Time to move on.

"Italian Vines," oil, 8"h x 10"w, ©Jill Banks 2014 was painted in the Piemonte wine region

Events and Exhibits
  • February-March: "The Art of Romance," Atelier Group Exhibition, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA.Open Wed. and Sat., noon to 4pm
  • April 9 - May 1: Women Painters of the Southeast Annual Juried Exhibition, Blue Ridge, GA
  • June 5-7: Rittenhouse Square: The Original Art Show, Philadelphia, PA. 
    June 29-July 5: Telluride Plein Air, Telluride, CO.  Juried as one of 32 artists who will spend the week painting this very cool town lined with Victorian houses, bustling street against a gorgeous mountainous backdrop.
    July 11-12: Wickford Art Festival, Wickford, RI.
     
  • See the Events page for more info/updates
  • Ongoing: Visit the studio I share with 14 other artists at the Artists’ Atelier, Great Falls, VA open Wed. and Sat.,
    12- 4pm
Thanks for reading!
Jill

Phone: 703.403.7435
Email: jill@jillbanks.com
Web:
www.JillBanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com

Subscribe to my Email Newsletter: News from the Easel

No comments: