Wednesday, December 17, 2014

"Garden Party" Hydrangeas and a Rabbit

"Garden Party," oil, 24"h x 18"w, ©Jill Banks 2014
Plan B

After struggling a bit in the studio, it was time for a change.  New inspiration, different kind of subject hit the spot.

Most of the paintings I've created lately fall into the genre of people and places. With a solo show at ArtSpace Herndon titled "Warm Observations: People and Places" coming up mid-January, that choice of subject seems appropriate. But after realizing that I could easily hang the gallery twice with paintings fitting the theme ... that I'd like to show you ... a break's okay.

So here is "Garden Party."An animal studio visit and a breath of fresh air for the painter (me).

Hints on keeping hydrangeas from drooping:  Cut ends on diagonal with sharp knife. Dip ends in alcohol (I used vermouth).  Immerse immediately in very warm/hot water.  Much better! Repeat as needed. (Hint is from Debbe who watched many of the hydrangeas I'd brought to my Still Life class "bite the dust" before anyone had a chance to paint them.)

By the way, changing subject matter is just one of the ways I keep energized and excited about painting.  For the first few years taking classes and painting full time, I was in a hurry to catch up. Any time away from what I was supposed to be painting/working on ... brought about a guilt complex. Eventually, I turned a corner and became a bit wiser.  This chosen path of mine was a long one. Now I enjoy the journey. I schedule or just allow myself time to soak up life, art, inspiration when needed and that seeps into my painting.  If what's on my easel isn't working, I change my location, subject matter, head to a gallery or garden, pick up an inspirational book, seek to learn something.


Events and Exhibits

  • Ongoing: Visit the studio I share with 14 other artists at the Artists’ Atelier, Great Falls, VA open Wed. and Sat., 12- 4pm
  • January 13-February 22, 2015: "Warm Observations: People and Places" Solo Exhibit, ArtSpace Herndon, Herndon, VA. Reception: Saturday, January 17. Painting demonstration: Saturday, January 31. RSVP for painting demo.
  • See the Events page for more info/updates
Thanks for reading!

Jill

Sign Up for Winter Classes
I'll be teaching Portrait class on Sundays, 1:30 to 5:30pm starting January 25 for six sessions ... and Still Life on Tuesdays, 10am to 1pm starting January 13 for eight sessions.  Class size is limited ... sign up now. More info and a link to register is on my Classes page at www.JillBanks.com. Portrait class full with wait list ... but add your name anyway if interested.  Spots do open up. Thanks!

Phone: 703.403.7435
Email:
jill@jillbanks.com
Web:
www.JillBanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com

Subscribe to my Email Newsletter: News from the Easel

No comments: