Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Counting My Blessings

"From the Hearth," oil, 14"h x 11"w, ©Jill Banks 2013. Chosen as the cover for my parents' Christmas Card 2014
At one point this afternoon, I was thinking that I really hadn't accomplished much today. As a painter, I'm accustomed to physical evidence of the day's work.  Like an alibi in paint.

But today found me away from the easel.

Instead the journey included:

"Out Standing in the Field" was one of two paintings added to the collection in the foyer
Finalizing the sale of two paintings by visiting a regular collector and friend to swap out a frame, approve the hanging arrangement. Walking in her familiar home, my first view is of the family portrait I painted that takes pride of place above the mantel within straight sight of the front door. It's amazing, and perfect, and an honor to have created it. The foyer now holds four of my paintings -- three smaller ones in a cluster and another greeting you on the staircase landing. There are more pieces throughout the home, all carefully chosen, collectively and happily placed.  (Randy, I believe, hung every one.) It's a beautiful, joyful collection. The two latest to be chosen and added were: "Gone Fishin'" and "Out Standing in the Field."

From there, Randy and I headed to lunch at the Old Brogue. Nice life. Leaving there, Randy saw Jack -- one of my 100 Faces (my most reluctant one), there having lunch with his wife, daughter and friends.  I knew of his friend -- Jack talked about him while becoming Face #52.

What I love about this day, my life -- is being a part of other people's lives. They have welcomed me in ... and I've welcomed them.

I'm counting my blessings. Lunch with Randy. Meeting with collector and friend to fill her home with more art. Seeing Jack and family and friends. Lucky.

Events and Exhibits

  • Ongoing: Visit the studio I share with 14 other artists at the Artists’ Atelier, Great Falls, VA open Wed. and Sat., 12- 4pm
  • January 13-February 22, 2015: "With Easel, Will Travel" Solo Exhibit, ArtSpace Herndon, Herndon, VA. Reception: Saturday, January 17. Painting demonstration: Saturday, January 31. RSVP for painting demo.
  • See the Events page for more info/updates
Thanks for reading!

Jill

Sign Up for Winter Classes
I'll be teaching Portrait class on Sundays, 1:30 to 5:30pm starting January 25 for six sessions ... and Still Life on Tuesdays, 10am to 1pm starting January 13 for eight sessions.  Class size is limited ... sign up now. More info and a link to register is on my Classes page at www.JillBanks.com. Classes are filling rapidly ... REALLY rapidly.

Phone: 703.403.7435
Email:
jill@jillbanks.com
Web:
www.JillBanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com

Subscribe to my Email Newsletter: News from the Easel


No comments: