Sunday, February 16, 2014

Portrait of Gabrielle Finished

"Portrait of Gabrielle," oil, 20"h x 16"w, ©Jill Banks 2014
Sixteen-year-old ballerina Gabrielle volunteered to sit for my first day demo for this Winter's Portrait class back in mid-January. 

I love witnessing the interaction between our models and the class -- as the person you are painting/studying gets up from the model stand and visits side by side.  Set up on a pedestal, then sharing in the conversation and easy comraderie.

I'm always still watching, observing -- on breaks, too -- as this other view seems to bring out person and personality in fuller form.

Gabrielle showed her gentle, inquisitive spirit. She listened with interest and was comfortable, enjoyable, fun company.

I didn't show a photo of my first pass -- the demo painting as is. I wanted to be able to work on it more -- if needed without inviting any side by side comparisons. (I've got to have a secret or two.) So the last two days I made two days worth of adjustments -- working from photos, my memory of her posing in the classroom (her spirit) and that demo sketch.  My memory is what told me that I'd captured her.

Her mom and dad are thrilled to be purchasing it. I'm certain, too, that it will be very special to Gabrielle as she remembers her day on the other side of the easel and peeks in progress.

Today was day six of the class. It is such a really neat group working hard at a challenging task. For four hours, we seem in a vacuum. Time flies. Good humor mixed with some frustration and excitement fill the room.

Two important reminders:
1) Join Me in Italy: Keep thinking about -- or better yet, SIGN up for my workshop held August 3 to August 10 in the wine region of Piemonte, Italy.  Get more info on my web site's classes page.  More folks are joining in the fun. I hope you will, too!

"Irish Pub," oil, 18"h x 24"w, ©Jill Banks 2014 on view at the Old Brogue thru Feb. 28
2)"Here and There" -- my solo show at Katie's Coffee at the Old Brogue is on view through February 28 at 760C Walker Road, Great Falls, VA. February's a short month -- made even shorter with a few snowstorms thrown our way. Make sure you see it ... and let me know what you think. Some of you are pictured in one of the paintings hanging there. So far, no one has reported in. Oh -- and -- I will be borrowing two of the Brogue paintings for a day, from Monday night (February 17) to Tuesday afternoon (February 18) for varnishing and photographing. You'll see some temporary replacements then -- so check in and check back. More info, see my events page. See the show online here.

Plus, we'll be holding a special mini reception this Saturday, February 22, noon to 4pm at the gallery at the Artists' Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls VA for the "Flowers, Chocolates and Romance" exhibit. I'll be there and  hope you'll come and enjoy. Valentine's Day is a state of mind -- not confinable to the 14th.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
 
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Artists Atelier, Great Falls VA website: GreatFallsAtelier.com
Paint in Italy Workshop: August 3 - 10, 2014: Info

EXHIBITS AND WORKSHOP

February 1 - 28: "Here and There" Exhibit at Katie's Coffee at the Old Brogue
Check out my "Here and There" exhibit online or in person at Katie's Coffee at the Old Brogue, 760C Walker Road, Great Falls, VA. 

February 1-28: Flowers, Chocolates and Romance, Gallery in the Artists Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066. One of our best exhibits of the year. Open Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon-4pm.
Reception: Saturday, February 22, noon to 4pm.
 






No comments: