Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Surrounded (By Art)

Me at the Artists' Atelier, February 2013. Photograph by Greg Staley.
In addition to lots of painting time, part of the day was spent putting together the first pass for a web site for the Artists' Atelier, the working studios I share with 14 other artists at 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Computer work is a great antidote for feet tired of standing at the easel.

One thing always leads to another.

Looking for photos of the Atelier led me to this terrific shot taken by Greg Staley, the person I trust to photograph my work.

I do look surrounded, right?

There have been so many times at exhibits that someone -- usually a young one -- will with wide eyes ask if I painted all of this. At this point, when the question is asked, I suppress the answer ... "you have no idea." You'd think I was on a mission to circle the globe a few times with my work. Linen to linen. Here to Timbuktu and back around again. And again. All the while way more interested in quality than quantity. I guess if you spend enough time with brush in hand you get both.

Paint. Paint. Paint.

With lots of installations ahead, I've been up early -- an unreasonable list of what's supposed to happen in the studio running amok on to do lists - written and not. Forget logic. I've learned so much lately. Had lots of fun experimenting. I want to show you the best and latest -- no matter where you happen to go to see my work.

On Friday, I'll deliver "Second and Pine Streets" of a Philadelphia scene for the upcoming "Top of the World: Views of the Mid-Atlantic" Exhibit in Baltimore.

On Saturday, Randy and I will take down "Serendipity" (two days left to see it!) from the Great Falls Library and head to Frederick, MD to install my Artomatic@Frederick space.

On Sunday, we'll make some deliveries and possibly put in my pieces for the "Menagerie" animal group exhibit at ArtSpace Herndon or wait until Tuesday's alternative date.

Surrounded.

Parties Ahead
Friday, September 6 is a double opening day.  Artomatic@Frederick has a pre-grand opening party -- for friends, artists, public from 6-9pm and the Top of the World reception in Baltimore is from 5:30 to 7:30pm. Complicated. We'll make it to both ... just an abbreviated version of the fun. I'm excited about these two new venues and can't wait to see what they are all about, meet fellow artists -- all that stuff. 

Saturday, September 7 is the reception for "Menagerie" at ArtSpace Herndon, 750 Center Street, Herndon, VA, 7-9pm. I hope to see you there!

See the Events page on my web site for more info.

Cool Opportunities Abound
Bear with me. I just joined the Mid-Atlantic Plein Air Painters Association (MAPAPA)-- in time to enter paintings for the "Top of the World" show. What a great organization! My October calendar is kind of crazy -- but one of the events I'm planning to attend is the Catharine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club's 117th Annual Exhibition's Reception benefiting the Metropolitan Museum of Art at the National Arts Club on October 11. Today I received a notice that Denise Dumont was organizing a casual paintout on October 12 in Gramercy Park, NYC (where the National Arts Club is located). Great timing! So there's where I'll be. New York! Yea.

Sign Up for Fall Classes and my Weekend Portrait Workshop
With my Still Life Class full, how about joining me for Plein Air Landscape class held on Wednesdays starting September 18? Or the new three-day weekend portrait workshop being held November 1-3 through the Great Falls School of Art?  Check out the classes page on my web site for more information, a link for online registration, supply list and more.

Last week to see "Serendipity" at the Great Falls Library, 9830 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA. Randy and I will be taking the show down, delivering paintings to new owners Saturday morning, August 31.


Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435


Events
Serendipity
Solo show at the Great Falls Library, 9830 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA. July 1 through August 31. Over 20 original oils. View the exhibit online.
 


6839 Redmond Drive, McLean, VA 22101
(703) 821-9501
Exhibit of six paintings including "Two Kittens," "Traffic Patterns," "Primary Colors," "Spanish Steps," "Second & Pine Streets," and "Sunlight, Sunflowers and Orange." Through August 25.

Lots are right around the corner ... take a look at the events page on my web site: www.jillbanks.com.

No comments: