Saturday, August 10, 2013

A Day to Remember

"At the Barre" work in progress, Demo pose #1, oil, 20"h x 16"w, ©Jill Banks 2013
I felt lucky as can be today.

Starting the painting "At the Barre" at the Great Falls Library (Great Falls, VA)
For those of you who joined me this afternoon, enjoying the inspiration provided by our two beautiful tutu'd models, Sydney Parks and Dylan Murphy, I'd love to hear about the day from your perspective. (Send me an email and I'll post the responses.) During each break, I got to see the smile on your faces. Saw the drawings created while I painted. It seems you were equally enthused to capture the beauty before you. (Guests were invited to draw if they liked with their own or provided crayons/pencils/paper ... or sit back and just watch.  It was so encouraging to see how many were enjoying sketching along with me. Warning: Once you start, it's hard to stop.)

"At the Barre" on the Easel with Sydney and Dylan modeling, pose #1
Sydney and Dylan were recruited by their teacher and director of the School of Theatrical Dance, Theresa D'Allessandro, in Great Falls. The first pose, for "At the Barre" was pretty tortuous. They held it stoically but were glad when I decided to find a different pose for the second hour-and-a-half of today's demonstration.

The first painting was not done (maybe it's halfway there?) but I wanted to take advantage of this setting, my two models and the choreography of Theresa to start another. This time -- given sore feet and limbs -- we went with the "ballerinas on break" theme.  It was a group affair -- putting together the pose. A gray wing chair was found in the hall outside the meeting room by Christine -- and it was perfect. I loved this pose!!! My
"Ballerina Break" in progress, pose #2, oil, 16"h x 20"w.  I can't wait to see it finished.
guess was that it added to the fun of the demo to watch all the iterations attempted before deciding that this is what I needed to paint.

I'll give these two paintings a little break before returning to them. They will be finished -- maybe partially from memory and photo references -- but also with some more time spent with Sydney and Dylan.  Who wouldn't want to do that live?

Today I got to paint two beautiful people. I got to do that surrounded by all the
Looks like fun, doesn't it?
good cheer and enjoyment each of you brought through the door. Thank you ... All!

There are some great photos -- to be posted tomorrow maybe? But here are some to get you started.

I really didn't want the day to end. Wow.

My "Serendipity" exhibit at the Great Falls Library (9830 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA) continues until August 31. It's open during normal library hours. (Closed Sundays.) For more information see my Events page on my website. Don't miss it ... if you can help it. You can also view it online.

The inspiration for the day came from two of the paintings in the show: "Ballerinas I" and "Ballerinas II" created in Franklin, TN of ballerinas from the Nashville Ballet Company. I'd never painted ballerinas before. Now I know what I was missing.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435


Events
Serendipity
Solo show at the Great Falls Library, 9830 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA. July 1 through August 31. Over 20 original oils. Painting Demonstration (Painting ballerinas!!!): Saturday, August 10, 1-4pm. RSVP -- yeses only -- to the painting demonstration through my web site. View the exhibit online.
 

6839 Redmond Drive, McLean, VA 22101
(703) 821-9501
Exhibit of six paintings including "Two Kittens," "Traffic Patterns," "Primary Colors," "Spanish Steps," "Second & Pine Streets," and "Sunlight, Sunflowers and Orange." Through August 15.

Lots are right around the corner ... take a look at the events page on my web site: www.jillbanks.com.




No comments: