Friday, August 9, 2013

Sketching Ballerinas and That Goat



Sketch #1: I was getting warmed up, too. Vine charcoal on mixed media paper.
Ballet Sketch #3 by Jill Banks
 Stretching and Sketching
In preparation for tomorrow afternoon's Painting Demonstration (at the Great Falls Library, 9830
Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA on August 10, 1-4pm), yesterday I met with the two ballerinas -- Sydney Parks and Dylan Murphy -- who have enthusiastically agreed to be our models. With the help of the School of Theatrical Dance's Director Theresa D'Allessandro, I think we have our pose selected. This morning, I brought my sketchbook to her class -- to get more accustomed to the rhythms and flow of ballet practice.

It was challenging to try to capture all that movement. Also amazing to me how well the girls followed instructions -- one after the other and got their limbs and bodies to cooperate.

Ballet Sketch #5 by Jill Banks








Vine charcoal is very messy business. It was all over my hands ... which was okay. But then it made it's way to my face ... nose in particular. Theresa offered me some wet towels for removal. It refused for awhile but lots of rubbing later and I looked human again.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow. Seems like some others are as well.  The RSVP yeses -- that I've received add up to 50! I can't wait to see you.  If you haven't RSVP'ed yet, you are welcome to come and go, find a seat if there's one available.
It may be SRO -- but the ballerinas and I will be doing that, too. They have point shoes on. Imagine.

Ballet Sketch #7 by Jill Banks

"Got Your Goat?," oil, 60"h x 40"w, ©Jill Banks 2013
"Got Your Goat?" Took an Interesting Turn
I've been contemplating the background and goat's surroundings and took out a palette knife, went through tons of paint and now it's complete. It's definitely different for me -- odd format, very tall, but I see joy in it. A little bit of fantasy doesn't hurt. So here she is.

The goat's real. This is Delilah -- a favorite of mine at Kidwell Farm in Herndon, VA (part of Frying Pan Park). She's posed for me often.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435


Events
Serendipity
Solo show at the Great Falls Library, 9830 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA. July 1 through August 31. Over 20 original oils. Painting Demonstration (Painting ballerinas!!!): Saturday, August 10, 1-4pm. RSVP -- yeses only -- to the painting demonstration through my web site. View the exhibit online.
 

6839 Redmond Drive, McLean, VA 22101
(703) 821-9501
Exhibit of six paintings including "Two Kittens," "Traffic Patterns," "Primary Colors," "Spanish Steps," "Second & Pine Streets," and "Sunlight, Sunflowers and Orange." Through August 15.

Lots are right around the corner ... take a look at the events page on my web site: www.jillbanks.com.

No comments: