Sunday, June 30, 2013

Right After "I Do"

This has been in the works ... but hush, hush until yesterday.  I was commissioned to paint at a wedding reception ... with the final painting to be a wedding gift to the newly wedded couple from the bride's parents.

"Wedding Reception" oil sketch work in progress, 18"h x 24"w, copyright Jill Banks 2013
I loved the venue -- a vineyard less than an hour away with beautiful vistas all around. Some of the logistics  were daunting. Short timeframe (about an hour and half between the ceremony and guests moving inside). Lots of moving people. Still setting the scene.

Although I'd never been commissioned to do something like this, I also knew my qualifications were about as well matched to the task as they could be.  I like interaction with others -- while painting -- a skill acquired through teaching and observing great instructors. I've had plenty of practice with in motion individuals -- 100 of them -- while painting my 100 faces in 100 days. I've been working on my plein air and speed painting skills. Think Mountain Maryland Plein Air, Wayne Plein Air, Fast and Fresh with Richmond Plein Air, Easels and Frederick Quick Draw.

I'm really pleased with the sketch created during the one and a half hour window last evening. It will get so much better when I can focus and think.  The bride and groom are missing ... since they were being captured photographically during most of the cocktail hour. Guests were so enthusiastic. Loved the idea and the painting. It was funny, because I think they had to use a lot of imagination to see it the way it will be.  It must have been a good crowd.

This will be developed over weeks. I'll let the first pass dry so that none of the energy, in the moment sense of this will be lost.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435


Events
Serendipity
Solo show at the Great Falls Library, 9830 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA. July 1 through August 31. Over 20 original oils. Reception: Saturday, July 20, 1-4pm. Demo days, too. Check web site for more details.
 

Solo Show at Greenberry's Coffee & Tea
6839 Redmond Drive, McLean, VA 22101
(703) 821-9501
Exhibit of six paintings including "Two Kittens," "Traffic Patterns," "Primary Colors," "Spanish Steps," "Second & Pine Streets," and "Sunlight, Sunflowers and Orange." Through June 30.

No comments: