Saturday, June 15, 2013

"Fast and Fresh" Paintout on Monument Avenue in Richmond VA

"Charles and Lee," oil, 16"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2013
While husband Randy and son Sam drove, chipped and putted in a Member-Guest Golf Tournament, I painted away this morning on Monument Avenue as part of PleinAir Richmond 's "Fast and Fresh" two-hour paint "race."

There were tons of professional and hobbyist artists that started along with me at 9am -- addressing their canvases -- and ended promptly at 11am. 

A very tough decision was what to paint.  The "Charles" of "Charles and Lee" is Charles Dickinson who had already set up his umbrella facing the opposite direction to me. It was that umbrella that formed the perfect counterpoint (in my opinion, anyway) to the marble base of the General Robert E. Lee statue. Unaware that I was painting him at the time, Charles approved of my use of him and his gear as co-subjects. He was painting this past week as part of the 35 artists juried from around the country.  Charles came to Richmond from St. Augustine en route to many artistic adventures up the East Coast.

That's me (Jill Banks) with painting in progress this morning
I ended up perhaps the most photographed artist in the bunch of us out there. I wore my infamous smock that looks plucked from the days of the French Impressionists which, along with my hat, won me the unofficial title of Best Dressed as an Artist. I know that a lot of my visitors got a huge kick out of it.

Last night's reception for the "On Location" exhibit of work from my Plein Air Landscape class was great fun. Work met with much well-founded appreciation.  You can see that exhibit during open hours Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon to 4pm through June 29 at the Artists' Atelier Gallery at 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Thanks to all who came!!!! It wasn't until the last guests left that I
We put our easels up with the wet paintings, framed, titled, priced right at 11am
thought how nice it would have been to have a camera to record the party. Next time!

Happy Fathers' Day tomorrow to all the Special Dads out there! I love you, Dad!

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435


Events
On Location
Exhibit of Artwork created by students in my Spring Plein Air Landscape painting class taught through the Great Falls School of Art.  Come see some great work done under challenging conditions. Reception: Friday, June 14, 6-8pm at the Artists' Atelier Gallery, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA .


Mountain Maryland Plein Air
Participating as one of 30 juried artists from around the country to paint Allegheny and Garrett Counties in Maryland, May 29 to June 1. Exhibit of Artwork from Mountain Maryland Plein Air continues June 1 through June 16 at Saville Gallery in Cumberland, MD

Solo Show at Greenberry's Coffee & Tea
6839 Redmond Drive, McLean, VA 22101
(703) 821-9501
Exhibit of six paintings including "Two Kittens," "Traffic Patterns," "Primary Colors," "Spanish Steps," "Second & Pine Streets," and "Sunlight, Sunflowers and Orange." Through June 30.




No comments: