Monday, June 10, 2013

Cracking a Coconut

"Fruit Tropics," oil, 20"h x 16"w, ©Jill Banks 2013
Today started in a bit of a panic.  At 9am, two kind souls from Great Falls Studios were due to arrive to photograph me and my studio for an ongoing book project.  Getting me and my studio camera-ready meant a late night of stuffing stuff into whatever closet or storage area still had room (not much and not many) plus rehanging artwork in the prime spaces that might be photographed. This morning required more stashing, plus I needed to figure out what still life setup would fill my yet blank canvas.

Last night's grocery/still life object shopping brought with it a coconut, my first time purchasing the hairy tropical fruit.  Pre-9am I was googling coconut in hopes of figuring out how to open it up. I tried poking holes with a skewer (in lieu of the suggested ice pick) to drain the coconut water. Uh-uh.  Then tried tapping it along its equilibrium with a hammer ... all with part of a houseful of occupants sleeping in the level below the kitchen.  Randy saved the day (as usual) taking it into the garage to break it in two -- much more forcefully than the recommended taps.  I'd hate to have been stranded on a desert isle trying to figure out how to get into those things.

I hope the photo shoot produced something acceptable over the three-and-a-half hours and 400 images taken. I'm excited about the project that provides entree into the working spaces of artists -- mine included -- even if it means trying to get over the discomfort being caught on camera elicits.

That's it. Full day. "Fruit Tropics" is either done or almost. It came a long way from that blank canvas I faced this morning.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435


Events
On Location
Exhibit of Artwork created by students in my Spring Plein Air Landscape painting class taught through the Great Falls School of Art.  Come see some great work done under challenging conditions. Reception: Friday, June 14, 6-8pm at the Artists' Atelier Gallery, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA .


Mountain Maryland Plein Air
Participating as one of 30 juried artists from around the country to paint Allegheny and Garrett Counties in Maryland, May 29 to June 1. Exhibit of Artwork from Mountain Maryland Plein Air continues June 1 through June 16 at Saville Gallery in Cumberland, MD

Solo Show at Greenberry's Coffee & Tea
6839 Redmond Drive, McLean, VA 22101
(703) 821-9501
Exhibit of six paintings including "Two Kittens," "Traffic Patterns," "Primary Colors," "Spanish Steps," "Second & Pine Streets," and "Sunlight, Sunflowers and Orange." Through June 30.

No comments: