Friday, January 25, 2013

"Two Kittens" Finished and Photographed

"Two Kittens," oil, 30"h x 40"w, copyright Jill Banks 2013
The second part of the post title was the most difficult ... at least of today's tasks. Fresh paint is always a challenge to capture plus it was snowing (and cold) outside, limiting my options of where to shoot it.

This is another painting, like "Garden Girl" -- that you really need to see in person to get a good sense of the scene.  It's funny to me to observe the differences between the piece of artwork before me and the subjects of it during the final painting sessions. While I finished the kittens and objects on the table the last few days, I dare not look up. (The lilies were well past their prime.) That's what you get for trying to tackle a large canvas with perishables to paint.

Both "Garden Girl" and "Two Kittens" will be my submissions for the Artists' Atelier's February exhibit "Flowers and Chocolate." They may not both make it in the gallery -- but they will be in my studio space there (1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA) that month. I'm looking forward to sharing them with any of you who stop by during open hours, Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon to 4pm or a couple of receptions planned for the month.

Teaching Rewards
On Tuesday and Wednesday, it was the first time for my new still life and portrait students to paint in front of me ... and they all managed to make it through the class. As I remember doing this myself, it's a giant leap people make putting themselves out there to try something new. Painting is a far cry from easy -- but I'm glad they were up to the challenge and happy that they seemed to be having plenty of fun.

My greatest reward for the week was from a continuing student who was new to the portrait class.  He loved last Wednesdays class enough for all of us! For the past two days I keep thinking about what he said and just how excited he was to be in that class. He made every minute in front of the easel count. (As did a whole bunch of you. Yea!)

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Events and Exhibits
Student Exhibit of the Great Falls School of Art in the Artists' Atelier Gallery, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Open hours: Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon - 4pm.  Through the end of January.

No comments: