Saturday, January 19, 2013

Lost in the Land of Flowers...

"Two Kittens" -- Name and Painting in Progress, oil, 30"h x 40"w, copyright Jill Banks 2013
Today brought me back to working on the large-scale still life set up by my Dad.  A week in ... the fruit and flowers are definitely the worse for wear, but not quite as bad as you might think.  Replacements will be hitting the table for some of the subjects, but not the flowers.  Those were what I worked diligently to capture today before soon turning to the foreground.
"Traffic Patterns," oil, 30"h x 24"w, copyright Jill Banks 2013

When I look at this setup and the recent one for "Garden Girl," I get the sense of walking into a storybook.  The kittens are checking each other out under a bower of lilies. It's some sort of land of enchantment.

I'd like some help on a name.  Right now it's "Two Kittens" which is fine, but I've thought of "The Encounter," and wondered whether there was something else that evokes the magic of it. Your ideas are most certainly welcome.

Yesterday, I finished up "Traffic Patterns." (Husband) Randy has no idea why I named that one ... that ... so maybe he caused my naming indecisiveness. Seems obvious enough to me.

Yesterday, too, we had the wonderful privilege of helping Oscar Haynes (who became Face #13 on January 13, 2011 in my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project) celebrate his 97th birthday.  Most people might say when encountering someone of that age is I hope to look like/be like that at his/her age. Heck. In Oscar's case, I hope to look like/be like him at this age.

"Oscar Haynes" as Face #13, oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
Quite an incredible man and we (Randy, Oscar, his wife Joan and I) enjoyed a really great lunch.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Events and Exhibits
Student Exhibit of the Great Falls School of Art in the Artists' Atelier Gallery, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Open hours: Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon - 4pm.  Through the end of January.





No comments: