Tuesday, January 29, 2013

"Horsepower" Day Two and Sculpture Attempts Day Three

"Horsepower" work in progress Day Two, oil, 30"h x 24"w, copyright Jill Banks 2013
Today after my Still Life class, I was working on sculpting ... with a pretty cooperative husband (Randy) as my model.  It's interesting. I'm working on being just as patient with myself as I tell my students to be.  This is something new (or at least a return after an extended hiatus) -- and practice has no substitute. I can't be proficient at something without working on it.  Apparently, there's quite a bit more practice to go.

What's a little difficult for me is that I have the belief that "seeing" -- really observing -- is a good part of the battle in creating art.  I've got the seeing part down.  I use that all the time in transforming the three-dimensional world into something that represents it awfully well on a two-dimensional canvas.  Now, I'm seeing something in three dimensions and yet am unfamiliar with the tools and techniques to mold that form in clay.

Hopefully, something will click into place in this brain of mine soon.

My second day of painting on "Horsepower" came this past Sunday. There's plenty more to do, but the paint needs to set up and dry first. (The colors are way off. The photo was taken at night in my studio ... See day one for better color clues.)

We had a gorgeous, un-winterlike day today. If I wasn't determined to work in clay, you would have found me at Kidwell Farm -- seeing what animal resident wanted to be painted today.

Soon?

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Events and Exhibits
Student Exhibit of the Great Falls School of Art in the Artists' Atelier Gallery, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Open hours: Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon - 4pm.  Through the end of January.

February 1 - February 28: "Flowers and Chocolate" Exhibit at the Artists'Atelier Gallery, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Open hours: Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon - 4pm.  Receptions: Saturday and Sunday, February 9 & 10, noon - 4pm.


No comments: