Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Painting on "The Gin Game" of Mom and Dad

"The Gin Game" work in progress, oil on linen, 30"h x 40"w, ©Jill Banks 2012
All around the Christmas/New Year holidays I was painting in my parents' condo while they played countless games of gin rummy. It was fun to just hang out ... with the purpose of painting. Mom and Dad had to don the same outfits over and over, including Mom's necklace spelling "JOY," twice.

Both "The Gin Game" and "The Poker Club" have required a lot of painting time beyond the sittings. If there's a person in front of me ... it's tough for me to move on to the colors of one's sweater or paint the stacks of chips (and cards). I'm going to keep concentrating on my sitters' faces -- the parts of greatest interest.

So, today, for a few hours after class, I worked on the color of my mom's sweater, and her hands, and reassessing the color of the green placemats. Even those tasks aren't complete. But it was fun to get back to this ... and make a bit of progress.

See an earlier post for "The Gin Game," day 4.

Exhibits and Events
March 2-31, “Black and White” Exhibit in the Artists’ Atelier Gallery, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Visit Saturdays, noon-4pm or by appointment or whenever an artist is in the studio. My entries: “Oscar,” “Quiet”  and “Carpeaux’s Napolitano Fisherboy” charcoal, and “Market Street Bar & Grill” ink wash/pen and ink drawings. Come visit.

March 17-30, Catharine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club’s Member Exhibit, Salmagundi Club, 47 Fifth Avenue, NYC. Award and opening reception, Friday, March 23, 6-8pm. “Hog Wild” and “Dining Alfresco” on exhibit.

April 14-May 4, Salon International 2012, Greenhouse Gallery, San Antonio, TX. Opening Reception: Saturday, April 14, 10am-8pm. “Contrapposto

May 1-31, Solo Show, Katie's Coffee at the Old Brogue, Great Falls, VA. More information to come (when I figure it out).

No comments: