Saturday, March 3, 2012

The "Black and White" Exhibit and "The Poker Club" Continues

"The Poker Club" work in progress, oil, 30"h x 40"w, ©Jill Banks 2011
Part of the March Black & White Exhibit at the Artists' Atelier
It's been a long while (or at least it feels like it) since I worked on "The Poker Club," the painting of seven members of my dad's card-playing club. You never pick up where you left off. All those brilliant conclusions about where you were going to go from here ... need to be replaced with today's assessment and plans. I spent the first four hours in just one little spot. Then, I started to see the whole, how it will all work together. Although I didn't get too far (I'm still hovering around the left side of the painting), it was a good painting day. There's a light at the end of that tunnel even though it may take lots of days to reach it.

View of my charcoal portrait, one of four entries for the show
The "Black and White" exhibit at the Artists' Atelier (1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA) is stunning. Group shows often seem like a haphazard assortment, with pieces vying for attention versus enhancing one another. The cohesion of the "black and white" theme lets each piece shine. Many of my studiomates created work specifically for this show, enjoying the stretch outside of their comfort zones of color.

Since we don't want to be the only ones to enjoy it, there's talk of a St. Patrick's Day opening. I'll let you know more details once someone tells me. Green beer, anyone? (not me.)

I've got more show photos around here somewhere, but it appears my desktop felt like having them as a snack. (Can't find 'em.)

On Exhibit:
"Black and White" is on exhibit at the  Artists' Atelier March 3-31, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Open Hours: Saturdays, noon-4pm or whenever an artist is in ... or by appointment. Contact info below.

March 17-30: Catharine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club's Member Exhibition. "Hog Wild" and "Dining Alfresco" at the Salmagundi Club, 47 Fifth Avenue, NYC. Awards Reception, Friday, March 23, 6-8pm.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email

No comments: