Monday, March 19, 2012

"Harbourside Burgers and Brew" Painting in Harbour Town, Hilton Head

"Harbourside Burgers And Brew" work in progress, oil, 16"h x 20"w, copyright Jill Banks 2012
Two bits of news today.

One, I painted in Harbour Town in Sea Pines, Hilton Head this afternoon. This is a spot filled with memories of visits when our kids were little. Directly to the left from where I set up my easel, son Sam and daughter Sarah listened to Greg Russell (a Hilton Head singing institution) under the live oak ... in front of yachts in the harbor. We remember Greg warning the kids to only, only, only volunteer to come up there if/when they were ready to sing. Then he asked who wanted to come up. Sam's hand shot up ... and Greg chose him from the audience ... and all I can remember thinking is ... what song does Sam know?

Turns out ... none. Nope. Sam was not going to sing.

"Rainy Day in NYC," Best in Show, Art League's 'Scapes Exhibit, August 2010
Today, plenty of people stopped at my easel to visit. That was due in part to my being set up a few feet from the public restroom.  Kids are usually my biggest fans, but I think in general, people get a kick out of seeing how a painting develops. One woman took her son to the rest room and when they came out, she prompted him to tell me what he wanted to say. He wasn't quite ready to tell me himself, but his mom said he'd told her, "She's really good!" I'm glad one of them spilled the beans.

"Harbourside Burgers and Brew" is as much about the beautiful live oaks that populate Harbour Town as the cafe and bar. They are kid-climbable trees whose limbs wander all over, to and fro into the sky and back to earth again.

"Great Falls Farmers Market," oil, 11"h x 14"w, copyright Jill Banks 2010
With each of these outings, I find myself wanting to show passerbys and visitors what my finished work looks like. While I'm actively trying to learn how to start and finish plein air pieces in one day (for plein air/quick draw competitions), there's a difference between what's possible under those circumstances versus pushing the painting as far as it can go in the studio ... or in multiple sessions. So, I'm replaying some of those more-time-at-the-easel paintings here. If you'd like to see more, go the Gallery page on my web site, click on Places.

Torpedo Factory Visiting Resident Studio Artist: August 2012
"Torpedo Factory Dock," painted plein air last Fall, 8"h x 10"w
My second bit of news is that I was juried in as a resident studio artist at the Torpedo Factory for August. I had submitted a selection of my work and application a month and a half ago ... to spend a month there painting and exhibiting my work in one of the studios there. Every time I go to Old Town Alexandria, I'm inspired to paint and capture the special nature of the place (and people). You'll certainly hear more about my studio hours and activities there closer to August. Just know you'll have somewhere else to come visit me ... and my work.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email


Register for Spring 2012 Classes
Portrait Painting and Drawing, Mondays, 10am-1pm, starting April 2
Still Life Painting, Tuesdays, 10am-1pm, starting April 3
See Jill's Web Site, Classes page for more information, supply list and registration form.

Exhibits and Events
March 2-31, “Black and White” Exhibit in the Artists’ Atelier Gallery, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Visit Saturdays, noon-4pm or by appointment or whenever an artist is in the studio. My entries: “Oscar,” “Quiet”  and “Carpeaux’s Napolitano Fisherboy” charcoal, and “Market Street Bar & Grill” ink wash/pen and ink drawings. Come visit. Reception, Saturday, March 17, noon to 4pm.

March 17-30, Catharine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club’s Member Exhibit, Salmagundi Club, 47 Fifth Avenue, NYC. Award and opening reception, Friday, March 23, 6-8pm. “Hog Wild” and “Dining Alfresco” on exhibit.

April 14-May 4, Salon International 2012, Greenhouse Gallery, San Antonio, TX. Opening Reception: Saturday, April 14, 10am-8pm. “Contrapposto

May 1-31, Solo Show, Katie's Coffee at the Old Brogue, Great Falls, VA. More information to come (when I figure it out).

August 1-31, Torpedo Factory Art Center, Visiting Resident Studio Artist, 105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA.

No comments: