Saturday, August 6, 2011

Studio Clean-Up and Contemplation

Working on the Studio
My main studio wall with new and old favorites. My plein air pieces are to the right.
Today I forwent painting for odds and ends. I spent a good part of my day up on a ladder adding names and numbers to each of my 100 ... and as you can see quite a few of my faces are way up high. More ladder time to touch up paint so you see my faces instead of the smudge on the wall. More ladder time to put up the very nifty vinyl lettering for the show (that I order from www.mrletter.com). I sorted through pieces to come home for awhile. And I mulled -- way too much -- about my studio wall. There's another wall to sort out. Randy and I have a plan ... but I forgot to order a frame. Oops.

"Sweet Temptation Cupcakes" and "Impossibly Pink Peonies"
So, one big wall and a mini wall look good. I promise to straighten the pieces up before next week. And, I'll be concentrating on how to best present the stories that accompany each sitting. It's tricky.

Tomorrow I head to Alexandria in the morning to paint with some members of the Art League Plein Air Painters. I can't wait!!!!! This isn't the official "Waterfront Activation" weekend so we will spread out a bit more. I want more practice so I can eventually hold my head up high when out there painting with nature in control. And, tomorrow I'll be donning a new hat that my mom bought for me for the occasion.

I've heard some wonderful comments, too, about my painting that's in the Art League show, "A New York State Of Mind." I appreciate it! If you have a chance to get to the gallery this month, please take a look. A picture doesn't even come close to what it's like to see the piece in person.


The "100 Faces in 100 Days" Exhibit
Reception: Friday, August 12, 6-9pm
Ice Cream Social: Saturday, August 13, 2-4pm
If you want me to have enough ice cream for you, an RSVP is helpful. Email me.
The exhibit runs through August 31. Open hours are Wednesday through Saturdays, 12:30-6:00pm throughout the month.
1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066.

This whole project has been social to say the least. Come just find out about it. If you've already seen the exhibit, come again anyway.  Stay as long as you want. Come as you are. I just want to see your smiling faces.

Calendar:
Sunday, August 7: Painting around Old Town Alexandria with the Art League's Plein Air Painters, somewhere shady near the Torpedo Factory, in the morning.

August 8 to August 19: Three of my drawings will be on exhibit as part of the Salmagundi Club's Annual Photography and Graphics Non-Members Exhibit in NYC. This prestigious, 140-year-old arts club is located in a beautiful brownstone at 47 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY. Through the years, the Salmagundi Club has been the gathering spot of such luminaries as Childe Hassam, William Merrit Chase, N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, Louis Comfort Tiffany, and many others. It's a pretty incredible spot. So ... if you're in NYC any time soon ...

August 1-31: "100 Faces in 100 Days" Exhibit #2 in the Gallery at the Artists' Atelier
Reception: Friday, August 12, 6-9pm
Ice Cream Social: Saturday, August 13, 2-4pm
RSVP helpful for both events ... but please come anyway if you don't get around to it.
Open hours for August, Wednesdays through Saturdays, 12:30 - 6:00pm, perhaps with some exceptions. Check my web site for the latest info.

August 3-September 5: 'Scapes Exhibit at the Art League, 105 N. Union Street, Alexandria, VA. My entry, "A New York State of Mind," won Honorable Mention.

Thursday, August 11, 6:30-8:00pm: Reception/Awards for 'Scapes exhibit at the Art League.

Friday, August 12, 6:00-9:00pm: Reception, 100 Faces in 100 Days Exhibit, the Gallery at the Artists' Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls. RSVP helpful via email. Thanks!

Saturday, August 13, 2-4pm: Ice Cream Social, 100 Faces in 100 Days Exhibit, the Gallery at the Artists' Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls. RSVP helpful via email. Thanks!

Sunday, August 14: Painting on the Waterfront with the Art League's Plein Air Painters, behind the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, VA, in the morning.

NEW! Sunday, August 21: At the Registration Pavilion for the Reston Century Ride, Reston Town Center, Reston, VA -- with prints of "W&OD BBQ", the first place winner in the T-Shirt competition.

To read more about the 100 Faces in 100 Days project on my web site (www.jillbanks.com), go to the 100 Faces Project Pages 1 and 2 where you can see all 100 of my volunteers. Click on the paintings, and go to my blog post for that person's sitting.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: