Friday, August 5, 2011

So Whose Idea Were These Polka Dots?

"Ostrich and Polka Dots," oil on Raymar panel, 6"h x 6"w, ©Jill Banks 2011
It seems the more I have to do, the less I do. The pile is piling. I'm sure I'll have my act together in a week, for the 100 Faces in 100 Days reception on Friday, August 12, 6-9pm  and Ice Cream Social on Saturday, August 13, 2-4pm (at the Artists' Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA)... but it would be nice to have it together right now.

My two big issues (at the moment) are signage for the show and making my studio space look great. I'm sure I'm overcomplicating both tasks. Maybe I should look at the problem abstractly ... as I tell my students to do when they are faced with a complex subject. I stress simplify, simplify, simplify. So all I have to do is take my own advice.

For my studio space, I have many new pieces that I want on view. My 100 Faces show spilled out to part of my studio wall so there's less wall space for displaying additional work. Okay. More than you want to know.

Today I worked on painting my fifth (of nine) Beanie baby. The choice for the day was an ostrich, in honor of my niece's birthday (yesterday). In the morning, I watched a video that my brother Scott put together for Megan's birthday with photos of her growing up and as a mom today. Megan's favorite creature as a young girl was an ostrich. (At least, that's what I recall.) She even had a run-in with an ostrich-ish sort of bird on a round-the-world adventure as a young woman. So, Happy Belated Birthday Megan with an Ostrich in your honor.

I do plan to have the Beanie Baby paintings on view this month at the Atelier. That's one decision down.


Coming Up and Current:
Sunday, August 7: Painting around Old Town Alexandria with the Art League's Plein Air Painters, somewhere shady near the Torpedo Factory, in the morning.

August 8 to August 19: Three of my drawings will be on exhibit as part of the Salmagundi Club's Annual Photography and Graphics Non-Members Exhibit in NYC. This prestigious, 140-year-old arts club is located in a beautiful brownstone at 47 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY. Through the years, the Salmagundi Club has been the gathering spot of such luminaries as Childe Hassam, William Merrit Chase, N.C. Wyeth, Howard Pyle, Louis Comfort Tiffany, and many others. It's a pretty incredible spot. So ... if you're in NYC any time soon ...

August 1-31: "100 Faces in 100 Days" Exhibit #2 in the Gallery at the Artists' Atelier
Reception: Friday, August 12, 6-9pm
Ice Cream Social: Saturday, August 13, 2-4pm
RSVP helpful for both events ... but please come anyway if you don't get around to it.
Open hours for August, Wednesdays through Saturdays, 12:30 - 6:00pm, perhaps with some exceptions. Check my web site for the latest info.

August 3-September 5: 'Scapes Exhibit at the Art League, 105 N. Union Street, Alexandria, VA. My entry, "A New York State of Mind," won Honorable Mention.

Thursday, August 11, 6:30-8:00pm: Reception/Awards for 'Scapes exhibit at the Art League.

Friday, August 12, 6:00-9:00pm: Reception, 100 Faces in 100 Days Exhibit, the Gallery at the Artists' Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls. RSVP helpful via email. Thanks!

Saturday, August 13, 2-4pm: Ice Cream Social, 100 Faces in 100 Days Exhibit, the Gallery at the Artists' Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls. RSVP helpful via email. Thanks!

Sunday, August 14: Painting on the Waterfront with the Art League's Plein Air Painters, behind the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, VA, in the morning.

NEW! Sunday, August 21: At the Registration Pavilion for the Reston Century Ride, Reston Town Center, Reston, VA -- with prints of "W&OD BBQ", the first place winner in the T-Shirt competition.

To read more about the 100 Faces in 100 Days project on my web site (www.jillbanks.com), go to the 100 Faces Project Pages 1 and 2 where you can see all 100 of my volunteers. Click on the paintings, and go to my blog post for that person's sitting.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: