Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Thinking About "Tranquility" and Planning The Year Ahead


Today I'm reviewing the materials for my "Mastering the Business of Art" workshop that I'll be teaching next week (Wednesday and Thursday, January 6&7, 5pm-8pm both nights) through the Great Falls School of Art. You can still register. Get more information about it and my Winter classes on my web site: www.jillbanks.com, go to the Classes page.) Reviewing the materials has sent me off on all sorts of tangents ... good ones, but tangents nonetheless. One tangent it didn't take me on was painting (unfortunately) ... but taking time away from painting to take care of this "business stuff" is instrumental in keeping me painting and improving as an artist.

One of my goals for 2010 is to create paintings that are apt to win awards in competitive National shows. I've placed at a finalist in many National competitions (including Artist's Magazine's Annual Art Competition), been juried into these competitive exhibits regularly and did win the Casey Memorial Award at the Catharine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club's National Exhibition. I'm happy about all those achievements -- but I always work toward something better. I'm constantly assessing where I'm at today vis-a-vis the Best of Show winners and seeing how I can improve. I plan on taking one of those Best of Shows home. (More would be okay, too.) What I'm happiest about is that in this quest -- which is really all about becoming a better and better painter -- I know my work is getting better and better.

I love the works I have in progress and recently finished paintings. (I love older ones, too -- but see a positive progression made each year.) One of those apt-to-be award winners is "Tranquility", shown here. It is still a work in progress -- to be finished in the next week or so. This painting just glows. It's also a reminder for me about what I most want to paint in 2010. Portraits, figures, people ... painted from life ... of models I hire just for me or patient friends and family who have some time on their hands.

Now, I'm going back to work on my workshop.

"Tranquility" work in progress, 30"h x 24"w, oil on linen, copyright Jill Banks 2009.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: