Saturday, December 19, 2009

Home Studio Open House ... So Terrific


About two weeks ago, I had this perhaps not novel, yet "bright" idea. Why not take advantage of still being in my beautiful home (that husband Randy built) ... that's on the market ... and host an open house for collectors and students to show my artwork in a home setting (where most of my artwork ends up)? Previously, whenever a collector's seen my work, it's been in the studio space I happily share with 15 other artists at the Artists' Atelier (1144 Walker Road, Suites D&G, Great Falls, VA). Or they've seen it in group shows. Or maybe in solo shows but in settings that don't give them a feel for what it would be like to live with my art.

I've got a lot of art. I have a lot of great collectors and supporters. This seemed a prime opportunity to thank them, and use every wall in the house for a very special private solo show.

My invitation said that my house would be filled from top to bottom with my art and Christmas decorations to boot. That required quite a bit of imagination, maybe hallucination, at the time the invitations went out. My dad stopped in each of the last four or five days leading up to the event ... and truly questioned my sanity and progress. Husband Randy was toiling away for days framing ... something short of a gadzillion paintings. He was definitely grumpy. Yet, I watched painting after painting get transformed with new frames.


We took down all the other art throughout the house. This event was sort of "all about me." I hope that sounds okay. I did tell guests that this isn't how the house usually looks. I like sharing the walls with other artists' work. Just not for this party.

My mom and dad, Randy and I worked like crazy leading up to the first doorbell ringing at 3pm (the start of the Open House) through the 8pm end of the Open House. It was SO much fun! It was a great thank you for the students and collectors who have helped make this such a successful year for me. Nine of my pieces sold. Students signed up for classes on the spot. (See my web site, classes page if you're interested in signing up for January classes and workshops.) Guests seemed to thoroughly enjoy themselves. They saw a lot of the objects found in my paintings. Students saw where I collect all the objects they "get to" paint in my Still Life classes. The stuff I torture them with.


I had 126 original pieces of finished art on display... with almost all of it for sale. That quantity astonished me. That's a lot of pieces, especially considering I carefully edited what went on display. I had to be happy with each and every work. Included in the "exhibit" were two Best of Show winners, two Honorable Mention winners, a finalist in Artist's Magazine's annual competition, and works that had been juried into National competitions (Salmagundi Club's annual, American Artists Professional League's Grand National), etc. I definitely brought my A-game.




The house did look great. We were able to answer the 3pm doorbell. Just barely. My parents were absolutely unbelievable in every way imaginable ... helping decorate, loaning their elves for my chandeliers (see earlier post) for the evening, fixing food and drinks, socializing, welcoming ... everything! Thanks Mom and Dad!


I'll have to update my web site to reflect yesterday's sales but gone to new homes are "Family Ties" (tomatoes), "Peppermint Stick and Pencil", "Me O' My Donut", "Cock-a-Doodle", "Hershey's Kiss", "After Prud'hon", "Apple Day" and two giclees of my Inn at Little Washington paintings. Thank you collectors! Your support means the world to me.

I didn't take any photos during the party because, let's just say, I was distracted. So, these photos are of the day after. Not quite as party-like, but nice.

If you would like to be added to my list, should I decide to throw another party like this ... email me at jillbanks1@aol.com. If you're interested in being alerted to new posts on this blog, you can subscribe to the left.

Thank you to all!

"Family Ties", 10"h x 8"w, oil on linen (shown above) is one of the nine paintings that headed off to a new home. Copyright Jill Banks 2009.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

1 comment:

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Well, crazy or not, it was a wonderful idea that you all pulled off with grace and style. What a nice thank you to folks who've supported you, and how terrific to have sold so many works. Your house is lovely and festive, and the artwork, fabulous, of course!

Congratulations and Happy Holidays, Jill!