Friday, December 4, 2009

Happy Portrait Delivery and First Friday at the Artists' Atelier Tonight

I've fallen behind in blogging land ... but hopefully will catch up. Quick Note: First Friday at the Artists' Atelier, the studio I share with 15 other artists, is tonight, December 4, 7-9pm at 1144 Walker Road, Suites D&G, Great Falls, VA 22066. There's a new show of Small Works by Great Falls Studios artists hanging in the GFFFTA (Great Falls Foundation for the Arts) gallery.


Now, onto the real news. Last Sunday, I received a great email and pictures from one of my commission clients. They had commissioned me to paint a portrait of John's parents ... to be presented as a (surprise) gift to his mom when the family gathered over Thanksgiving. A beautiful gift, to be sure!

Portrait deliveries are special days. I love to watch/experience the reactions of the recipients. Since this one was being presented at a family gathering in Florida (I live in McLean, VA), I wasn't there to witness it. But, my kind client was sure to take some pictures to help me share the moment. She captured a pretty wonderful reaction and happy presenters.

And here's the note that I received along with the pics:
She LOVES it. And so does everybody else. Just beautiful likenesses, beautiful painting. "How does she do it!" You have a family of new fans.
Painting portraits is hard, but rewarding work. I love the process of getting to know the subjects -- sometimes in person, sometimes through the words and emotions of the person who is introducing me to my subjects. John's dad had passed away, and I've never met his mom, but got to know them both through pictures and stories -- as told by John.


So, happily, this portrait was another success story. Yea!!! I know it's touched many lives and for that I am grateful.


I'm working on another portrait commission in my home studio ... to keep it under wraps until its official delivery. This one's going to keep me very busy for quite awhile. It's exciting, though!

For more information on commissioning a portrait, take a look at my web site's commission page and gallery pages for more examples of my portrait work. Or, give me a call at 703.403.7435.

Photos, top to bottom:
"Simms Portrait", oil on linen, approx. 39"h x 30"w, copyright Jill Banks 2009; John's Mom seeing the portrait for the first time; and Jack and John setting up the portrait for the surprise.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: