Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Field Trip to the National Gallery of Art



Today I joined Loretta Cassidy and Shanaz Asasi from my Great Falls School of Art Still Life class at the National Gallery of Art to spend a fun day viewing the Luis Meléndez exhibit (phenomenal still lifes of food -- right up my alley) and drawing some of the sculptures. The drawing shown above is done with General's Multi-Pastel Chalks in Scarlet Red on Gutenberg Laid paper. I drew it in a sketchbook that I had made myself for a 2006 art historical trip to Florence, Italy led by Robert Liberace. The second drawing is an earlier page in the sketchbook ... done in Florence of the Duomo. It's done in a brown ink wash and pen & ink.

"Drawing from Auguste Rodin's Sculpture: "Victoria Sackville-West, Lady Sackville" 1913-14", multi-pastel chalks, 8"h x 10"w (page dimension), copyright Jill Banks 2009.

"Duomo", ink wash and pen&ink, 10"h x 8"w (page dimension), copyright Jill Banks 2006.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

2 comments:

Linda Lawler said...

Beautiful pen and ink wash drawing Jill. I hope you are having a artastic summer. Linda

Jill Banks said...

Thanks, Linda ... sounds like you've been busy too with your new gallery and miniature exhibit. Happy painting! Jill