Tuesday, August 12, 2008

More in the Restaurant Series


The other day, I met two new acquaintances at the Starbuck's in Old Town Alexandria. They asked me about my art, generally what I do, and I answered that I created figurative scenes -- people in dining and street scenes, enjoying themselves. Well, that conversation was the stimulus for the last few days of painting and will continue on for awhile. What I realized was that since my "Place Settings" solo show at the Art League in January, the few restaurant-centric paintings I've created have sold and I really wanted to get back to that series.

So, at the moment there are two of those being created which you will probably see soon. A small one, just beginning, is set at L'Auberge Chez Francois and a second is a night outdoor dining scene from Florence, Italy. Stay tuned.

I'm currently producing (and framing) new work for three upcoming events: another stint at the Great Falls Farmer's Market on August 23, a show at a French restaurant in Alexandria in September, and the Studio Tour in October. Plus, I have a very special commission portrait I'm working on.

The painting pictured is "Friends in Florence" from my "Place Settings" series. 11"h x 14"w, oil on Raymar panel, copyright Jill Banks 2007.

No comments: