Saturday, August 16, 2008

Art at the Mill Show Acceptances


The Art at the Mill Show in Millwood, Virginia is a regular fixture in the exhibit schedule for regional artists. Artists submit up to five pieces, and the jury decides whether the piece is accepted, rejected or placed on reserve. There are two shows a year, one in the Spring and the other in the Fall. These shows are a bit quirky (my opinion) with what I consider a really wide range in quality and prices of the work, but they are well attended and a lot of art is sold each show.

Yesterday, I heard word that of the five pieces that I submitted, three were accepted, one was placed on reserve and one was rejected. I'm making progress! That's my best "score" so far.

The Fall Art at the Mill show will take place at the Burwell-Morgan Mill in Millwood, VA on October 4-19, Sunday through Friday, 12-5 pm and Saturday, 10am-6pm. There is an admission fee.

Every time I enter a show, I literally torture myself making a decision on what to submit. I try to think about the venue, notice what sells and what has appeared there before, and consider the juror, if that's publicized. Then I try to pick what I think best suits that combination. I still win some and lose some, but my odds seem to be improving.

Above, I included one of my accepted entries. "Striped Skirt" was painted a week and a half ago, alla prima, when Ellie modeled for the portrait painting class I teach. To paint something alla prima means to paint it all at once -- in a single session without layering the paint. This painting is super loose -- a nice respite for me. 20"h x 16"w, oil on Senso linen canvas, copyright Jill Banks 2008.

By the way, Richard Schmid, a favorite painter of mine, wrote a wonderful book titled "Alla Prima: Everything I Know About Painting." This is such a great book for artists of all levels! It's published in both hardback and softcover.

No comments: