Friday, May 12, 2017

Last Full Day Painting in Charleston

"Meeting and Queen," oil, 16"h x 20"w, ©2017 Jill Banks
The week ended on a high note, with a painting that cooperated with my vision for it, friendly and complimentary folks stopping by all afternoon ... culminating with a really wonderful reunion over a casual dinner with my former studiomate (the founder and visionary of the Artists' Atelier) Mollie Vardell and her husband Michael.  They relocated to Charleston a few years ago and it was easy to see why they chose this place.  But, still, it was great to see how happy they are with their decision.

True fun.

The photo of "Meeting and Queen" will be improved and this plein air piece may become a larger work that focuses more on the action and people that came together this afternoon.  The name might also change. Suggestions welcome.

A Wonderful Life

I've been writing this blog since 2008. It is titled "Life as an Artist: Jill Banks" and meant to give you an insight into the trials and tribulations of life as an emerging artist. At this moment, I just want to say ... while rejections still come my way (regularly ... since there are so many great artists out there), joy is ridiculously abundant.

A fellow student when I was first began this journey dreamed of fame.  That was not an aspiration of mine because who controls the keys to that kingdom? Not me.

Today, standing on Meeting Street, by the time my painting no longer looked like an abstract -- it seemed everyone who passed told me how beautiful it was. Many inquired about where they could purchase my work. No one fainted over the finished work price.  One already knew of me and my work. That's pretty astounding. How'd that happen?

I think I know the answer.  While there have been some incredible opportunities and exposure in the past few years, the power of someone else telling their story of a connection with my  work goes way beyond a mention, an award or passing notice.  YOU are the reason why someone might know my work on the streets of Charleston. Your support and enthusiasm gave me the confidence to stand there and hope for the best. Seriously, THANK YOU!!!!


Paintings In Different Places


  • See "Got Your Goat" at the Great Falls Library, 9830 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA through May 31
  • See "Hudson River Morn" -- the view from my hotel room shower window in NYC -- at the Art League Gallery, 105 N. Union Street, Alexandria, VA through June 4, 2017. Open exhibit juried by Dana Shearin. 
  • See five paintings of Great Falls including "Village Centre Walk" -- a painting to be raffled off by Celebrate Great Falls to raise funds for the Walker Road Streetscape Project at the mini Gallery at TD Bank on the corner of Walker Road and Georgetown Pike in Great Falls, VA. ($50 per raffle ticket. 100 tickets - maximum sold.)
 Work is spread around elsewhere as well (like the American Women Artists Online Showcase)...

Events

May 20-21: Northern Virginia Fine Art Festival, Reston, VA
June 2-4: Rittenhouse Square Fine Art Show, Philadelphia PA
June 5-11: Bucks County Plein Air, Philadelphia PA
June 28-July 4: Telluride Plein Air, Telluride, CO
September 16-17: 15th Annual Alexandria King Street Art Festival, Alexandria, VA
September 23-24: Armonk Outdoor Art Show, Armonk, NY
Thanks very much for reading and your interest in my art. I hope to see you soon!
Jill Banks
Chosen as one of the Top 9 Painting and Drawing Teachers in the Washington DC area by Expertise.com.
https://www.expertise.com/dc/washington/painting-and-drawing-classes
Blog: For my latest news and works, visit or subscribe to my blog Life as an Artist at jillbanks.blogspot.com
Facebook Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/Jill-Banks-Studio-278493468836508/ (Please like that page if you like it...)

No comments: