Monday, August 17, 2015

Working Small

...Isn't easy. I re-proved that point in the last couple of days -- reworking a little painting started in Mystic, CT of the statue of the Blessed Mary -- this one purchased by a couple who showed up at the festival after having visited my booth months ago in Virginia Beach. It was difficult to create on the spot -- I kept doing and redoing. Then, I posted it. Then, reworked it again.  By contrast, the much larger painting created the day prior in Mystic was decidedly easier.
"Our Lady at St. Patrick's," oil, 6"h x 6"w, ©2015 Jill Banks. Private collection.

The problem is -- me. I wasn't cut out to be a watch repair person or handle something requiring pinpoint precision. One little misstep and a nose is in the wrong place. Compounding that -- a delicate beautiful subject and a nice couple already anticipating for her to arrive at their home -- made for challenging work.

"Our Lady at St. Patrick's" is now resting, drying, waiting to be shipped to her purchasers. Phew.

At the same time, I think small paintings can be completely mesmerizing -- charming and pull you into their Lilliputian beings.

"Rabbit Food," oil, 20"h x 16"w, ©2015 Jill Banks.
I promised a new photo of yesterday's painting "Rabbit Food." Here it is. Decidedly better. The light of day helps. I've added it, too, to my web site -- where you'll find it in the Still Life gallery.

Thanks for reading!
Jill

Phone: 703.403.7435
Email: jill@jillbanks.com
Web:
www.JillBanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com

Subscribe to my Email Newsletter: News from the Easel

See the Events page for more info/updates
September 1-30: Along the Way, Solo Show, Great Falls, VA
September 19-20: Alexandria King Street Festival, Old Town Alexandria, VA
October 4:  McLean MPA Artfest, McLean Central Park, McLean, VA
October 16-18:  Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, (I'll be at the Artists' Atelier, 756 Walker Road, Great Falls, VA 22066). Self-guided tour of the home or group studios of 50-60 Great Falls artists.
October 19-25:  Brandywine Valley Plein Air
December 3-6: One Of A Kind Show & Sale, Merchandise Mart, Chicago, IL

No comments: