Monday, August 11, 2014

More Italian Statues ... in Torino, This Time

"Torino Bridge," oil, 12"h x 16"w, ©Jill Banks 2014
With only one day to explore/paint in Torino, Italy before bidding the country "arrivederci" for awhile ... I headed to the bridge we crossed entering the city for my subject. At each end, two statues either welcome or warn. The one closest to my view seemed poised to make a serious statement. More research to follow.

My painting spot was across the bridge Ponte Umberto I over the River Po in Torino, Italy.  Randy was on alert ... a few feet from me. Torino, from what I can tell in just a few short hours, is a beautiful Italian city ... but yet as an urban center, it didn't offer that feeling of safety and comfort of the Piemonte hill towns we'd just left behind. Nice to know that Randy was keeping watch.

An audience in Torino
It appears quite a few others were as well ... keeping me company as I worked.

Yesterday was a lazy, quiet day. I miss the laughter and good cheer of the workshop. Food will never be nearly as good -- and won't suddenly appear whenever I want it.

An amazing time comes to a close.  The great news is that every day life is pretty darn good, too -- despite the downgrade in scenery and edibles.

Homeward bound.

Fall Classes Ahead
"Hoot and Flowers," oil, 24"h x 18"w, ©Jill Banks 2014
Fall classes start in mid-September when I'll be teaching Still Life (8 sessions, Tuesdays, 9:30am to 12:30pm, September 16 to November 4, $325) and the Plein Air  Landscape in Oils (6 sessions, Thursdays, 9:30am to 1:30pm, September 18 to October 30 -- no class October 16, $325). Classes are offered through the Great Falls School of Art (Great Falls, VA). More information -- including how to register -- is available on my web site's classes page. I have yet to update my supply list ... but will catch up shortly. If you are interested in signing up, do so soon. Classes fill very quickly.

Coming Up
  • Aug. 16-Oct. 12: Paint the Shenandoah Exhibition, River District Arts, Sperryville, VA
  • Aug. 23-24: Shadyside: The Art Festival on Walnut Street, Pittsburgh, PA
  • September 13 & 14: Alexandria (King Street) Art Festival, Alexandria, VA
  • September 20 & 21: Armonk Outdoor Art Show, Armonk, New York
  • October 5: McLean MPA Artfest, Sunday, October 5, McLean, VA. 52 artists in McLean Central Park
  • Oct. 17-19: Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA
  • Ongoing: Visit the studio I share with 14 other artists at the Artists’ Atelier, Great Falls, VA open Wed. and Sat., 12- 4pm
  • Jan.-Feb. 2015: Solo Exhibit, ArtSpace Herndon, Herndon, VA
  • See the Events page for more info/updates
Thanks for reading!

Jill

Phone: 703.403.7435
Email:
jill@jillbanks.com
Web:
www.JillBanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com

Subscribe to my Email Newsletter: News from the Easel (This link takes you to the subscription page.)

Register for Fall 2014 Classes. Get more info on my Classes page on my web site.

No comments: