Tuesday, September 3, 2013

"At the Barre" Finished, "Menagerie" Is Up! and a Love Story

"At the Barre," oil, 20"h x 16"w, ©Jill Banks 2013
The last few days besides carrying art around, making deliveries, taking down and putting up shows -- have been spent on finishing one of the two paintings started during my August 10 demonstration at the Great Falls Library. A new, better photo will replace this one -- but I was too excited about showing it to you to wait.

For those of you who have seen "Ballerinas I" and "Ballerinas II" -- in person or online -- you know that stylistically this new one is less impressionistic than the two that preceded it.  I wanted to capture my subjects for "At the Barre." That doesn't mean obsessing over details, but caring more about how I depict color, light, mood, posture of my two terrific models -- Sydney Parks and Dylan Murphy.

So far, I have three out of three paintings of ballerinas I love (of mine ... there are many more of others). One more to go. For now.



"Menagerie" Is Up
The five-artist exhibit of animal art was hung this afternoon. (Sculpture from artist #5 still to come when I left.) I worked with a volunteer to hang my 14 pieces on my section of the walls in
Part of the "Menagerie" show at ArtSpace Herndon
the gallery at ArtSpace Herndon (750 Center Street, Herndon, VA). With my camera card full -- these photos are off my iPhone -- and apparently I was doing pirouettes while snapping pictures. (They are blurry.) Sorry about that. I will be there for Saturday's reception, 7-9pm. Another chance for better pics then.



"Menagerie" features the work of:
Jill Banks
Lori Goll
Mir Molette
Jeanne Treshuk
Jackie Ehle-Inglefield

Reception: Saturday, September 7, 7-9pm

Gallery Hours:
Monday - Closed
Tuesday through Thursday - 10am to 2pm
Friday and Saturday - 10am to 5pm
Sunday - 1pm to 5pm

The exhibit opens officially tomorrow (Wednesday, September 4) and closes September 29.

"Got Your Goat?" in "Menagerie" at ArtSpace Herndon
Have a look.

My Parents' Anniversary
I received an email today -- as did all my parents' kids and grandkids -- that brought tears to my eyes.  Proves they are not that dry after all.

Today is my mom and dad's 63rd wedding anniversary. For 63 years + two, they've shown anyone who's met them what love looks and acts like if you're really, really, really blessed.

I didn't ask permission, but am sharing anyway. Here's the email:


Good Morning ALL,

As you are aware, today is another one of those special days for my partner and me.  At least the date on the calendar suggests it is a day of “attention”!
If the truth be known, it seems that at this stage of our lives and our marriage, EVERY day is a special day of celebration. Lucky us!  We truly count our blessing each and every day! We never take a day or a moment together for granted...not ever!
And, as to our blessings, each of YOU are VERY high on the list to be counted!!!  What special gifts you are to us!  How rich we are with memories past, as well as many dreams going forward.  Life doesn’t get better for us.  We pray likewise for each of you!
And, just in case you were worried that your mom/Nana/Shonnie was losing interest in all of this stuff...I am sharing the traditional beautiful poem I received this morning.  Again,
Lucky me!!
Love you,
Dad/Papa/Ken


And my mom's poem to my dad.

Happy 63rd Anniversary, Ken
It really never ceases
 to amaze both you and me
How the love we share could possibly get stronger
But it’s a fact that cannot be
denied by anyone
As the sum of years together gets way longer
How many ways can I express
why this is really true
I say it in the same old words each year
Although we both were very young
when first we met and dated
The love grew very quickly...That was clear
I found myself so happy...
I loved your sense of humor
You made me feel so special...right away
I guess I proved that early
when departing words I said
Could have had the same result as Pepper Spray
But thankfully, you didn’t “scare”
and stayed in full pursuit
For a year...and then I found myself “engaged”
That next year we were married
thinking love was at its peak
But instead, it kept on growing as we aged
Throughout the years our fam’ly grew
(With room to grow some more)
So our hearts are clearly filled with gratitude
And thanks to you, we handle
ups and downs along the way
With an upbeat, “Count your blessings” attitude
I love you more and more each day
and know you feel the same
For these sixty-three great years...let’s celebrate
With a movie and some yogurt
and Gin Rummy...or “whatever”
Just as long as I am with my FAVORITE date!
                                                        Love always,
                                                                                                         Shonnie
If you're wondering about that scary thing my mom said -- she told my dad that he was the kind of guy she'd like to marry (or thereabouts) on their first date. (A blind one.) 
I'm counting my blessings that they were my role models for marriage and love. Thanks, Mom & Dad! Now you know why I'm so nuts over husband Randy. I come by it honestly.

Back To School
Time to sign up for art classes. Start date is right around the corner! See the classes page on my web site. There's still room in my Plein Air Landscape class and Portrait workshop.

Artomatic@Frederick
Artists' Reception, this Friday (September 6), 6-9pm. I'm in the 117 Church Street building, Frederick, MD, 3rd floor, end of the hallway. You're invited!

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435


Events
Lots -- see the events page on my website.  Thanks!



ArtSpace Herndon
750 Center Street
Herndon, VA
703.956.6590
Reception, Saturday, September 6, 7-9pm
14 original oils on view through September 29.

117 Church Street
Frederick, MD
Reception, Friday, September 5, 6-9pm
13 original works on view on the 3rd floor, end of the hallway in this extreme pop-up gallery.
September 4 to October 5. Open Wednesdays through Sundays.
Coffee Break Solo Show at 
Greenberry's Coffee & Tea
6839 Redmond Drive, McLean, VA 22101
(703) 821-9501
Exhibit of six paintings including "Two Kittens," "Traffic Patterns," "Primary Colors," "Spanish Steps," "Second & Pine Streets," and "Sunlight, Sunflowers and Orange." Through September 15.

No comments: