Monday, September 30, 2013

Animal House, "Made In the Shade" and the Style Section?

"Made In the Shade" Round Two, oil, 16"h x 12"w, ©Jill Banks 2013
If variety is the spice of life ... well ...

Animal House
With the "Menagerie" show down from ArtSpace, our home is now the Animal House. Paintings of critters are everywhere. Some will make it to my booth at MPA's McLean Artfest, the outdoor juried show held at the McLean Central Park this Sunday, October 6, 10am-5pm at the corner of Old Dominion Drive and Dolley Madison Blvd in McLean, VA. I hope to see you there! I don't know what will be shown there yet ... that's one of the many tasks this crazy week holds in store.

Pick-Up/Drop-Off
Today was spent picking up the last two pieces at Herndon ArtSpace ... talking to folks there while they got set up to hang the portrait exhibition. My piece, "Contrappasto" joins some other beautiful works ... with the opening reception this Saturday, October 5, 7-9pm at 750 Center Street, Herndon, VA. Then, it was off to Vienna to turn in two pieces for their Paint the Town plein air competition and exhibit. Also -- some great work getting ready to hang on the walls. I turned in "Made in the Shade" and "Korean Garden,"
"Bare" created this Saturday at Open Life. It may change...
both painted this week in downtown Vienna and Meadowlark Gardens, respectively.

"Made in the Shade" got a second afternoon painting pass yesterday. I thought about creating another, but in a strange bout of good sense, decided to improve this painting through some concentrated hours without the stress of initial drawing, chasing the sun, etc. Those decisions had already been made. My job was to answer the question, how can I make it better?

While I was painting there, a man visited before a bike ride ... and after, having talked with me about my piece on both occasions. When he returned, he announced he had the perfect name for it ... "Made In the Shade" - an homage to the umbrella I was working under and painting in.  It must be perfect. That's just what I'd named it on Round One. Pretty interesting, right?

Evidence in the Washington Post Sunday Style Section: Where I spent Tuesday night
Style Section? Me?
This might be it, folks. But, I am pictured in the Washington Post Sunday Style Section, page 12, September 29, 2013. The reason? Attending the MPA Artfest Soiree -- a pre-celebration of this weekend's main event. I get a kick out of being in there. I get a kick out of pretty much everything.

The party was great fun.  I really loved the piece I donated to the Luck of the Draw, and so did a lot of the attendees. That felt great. The event got off to a great start, too, as I  walked up to the welcome table with Janie Strauss -- who told me she was happy to be sponsoring my tent this year. Very happy! Janie sponsors the Strauss Fellowship Grant  offered through the Fairfax County Arts Council -- of which I've been the recipient in 2008 and 2011.

Come to Great Falls Annual Studio Tour October 19 & 20
Watch a GREAT video about why you should visit the Great Falls Studio Tour at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW0J_quUdKw

I'll be at 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Also see the Atelier website: www.GreatFallsAtelier.com for more info.

60 Artists talking processes, sharing art inspiration in thirty locations. Free. Self-guided. Come to the Atelier for a map, goodies, fun, beautiful art!!!
 
Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435


Artists Atelier, Great Falls VA website: GreatFallsAtelier.com 

Events
Lots -- see the events page on my website.  Thanks!



117 Church Street

Frederick, MD



13 original works on view on the 3rd floor, end of the hallway in this extreme pop-up gallery.
September 4 to October 5. Open Wednesdays through Sundays.




Inaugural Exhibition Fine Art Professionals of Northern Virginia
Berkley Gallery
31 Main Street
Warrenton, VA
Three of my pieces on view. 28 artists. Exhibit through October 15




5th Annual Portrait Expressions Regional Juried Exhibition
ArtSpace Herndon
750 Center Street
Herndon, VA
"Contrapposto" was chosen as a finalist


MPA McLean Artfest Outdoor Juried Art Show
Under a tent in McLean Community Park, McLean, VA at the corner of Old Dominion Drive and Dolley Madison Blvd.  Lots to see!! 49 artists. Rain or shine.



Catharine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club's Benefit Reception for the Metropolitan Museum of Art
National Arts Club, 15 Gramercy Park, NYC. 117th Annual Open Exhibition of CLWAC.   Exhibit October 1-25.



Great Falls Annual Studio Tour -- Celebrating 10 Years!
See me at the Artists' Atelier, the studio I share with 14 other artists at 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. We join the 60 artists opening up our studios for the weekend, talking about our processes, tools, and hoping to inspire the artist in you in this FREE, self-guided tour throughout the streets of Great Falls.  


Coffee Break Solo Show at 

Greenberry's Coffee & Tea
6839 Redmond Drive, McLean, VA 22101
(703) 821-9501
Exhibit of six paintings including "Two Kittens," "Traffic Patterns," "Primary Colors," "Coffee or Tea?," "Cup of Tea," and "Not Picasso." Through October 15.

No comments: