Saturday, July 13, 2013

One New Collector ... Two Paintings

"Café Bords du Seine," oil, 12"h x 8"w, ©Jill Banks 2013, Sold
Luck seems to circle round my "Serendipity" exhibit, the solo show of 26 original oils on view at the Great Falls Library, 9830 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA -- through August 31. Last night Randy and I took home many of the paintings to varnish them before rehanging their sparkly selves this morning.  While getting them into the car -- the rain that's been haunting Northern Virginia for a month -- took a rest until they were safely tucked inside. The same thing happened the day we hung the show. It rained until we were ready to load up the car, stopped, started again on the way over, stopped until we unloaded the car to get them inside, poured like crazy while there.  Talk about some nice cooperation from Mother Nature.

Then, I happened to be there on July 1 -- the day the exhibit opened -- to hang wall tags when in came a collector eager to purchase two paintings. She was trying to figure out how to reach me to make the purchase -- but luck/good timing simplified matters.

"Afternoon on Prince Street," oil, 20"h x 16"w, ©Jill Banks 2013, Sold
Today, I received multiple messages from a new purchaser who had made the trip from Old Town Alexandria to see the show. She also was anxious to purchase two -- before someone else beat her to it.  She was so persuasive, the Library Assistant Branch Manager marked her selections Sold with some yellow post-it notes. Then, my new collector met me this afternoon at my studio at the Artists' Atelier (1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA -- open Saturdays and Wednesdays, noon to 4pm) to see more work and finish the transaction. She's built a fine collection -- that I'm looking forward to seeing when we deliver the paintings to her home. She works at collecting -- preferring making purchases directly from artists.  She's particularly drawn to work created by women, of street scenes with figures -- I fill the bill on all three counts.

I asked how she found out about the exhibit. It was the photo and caption in élan Magazine's July issue's Calendar pages that drew her to come see "Serendipity." Plus, she previewed the exhibit and many of my other pieces through a long look at my web site: www.JillBanks.com.

You're welcome to come to the exhibit any time the library is open (see the events page on my web site for library hours/days). The meeting room -- where the pieces are hanging -- is almost always busy with community groups and library events -- but go in and see the artwork no matter what's happening in there. 

The official opening reception is coming up: this Saturday, July 20, 1-4pm at the Great Falls Library. I'm thinking about what goodies/treats to bring for that day. What foods go with "Serendipity?" I REALLY hope to see you there.

The next official event date there is a Painting Demonstration on Saturday, August 10, 1-4pm -- same place -- where I'll be painting two young ballerinas. RSVP to that event -- yeses only -- through my web site. Come cheer my models and me on -- your enthusiasm would be greatly appreciated.

Events
Serendipity
Solo show at the Great Falls Library, 9830 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA. July 1 through August 31. Over 20 original oils. Reception: Saturday, July 20, 1-4pm. Painting Demonstration (Painting ballerinas!!!): Saturday, August 10, 1-4pm. RSVP -- yeses only -- to the painting demonstration through my web site.
 

Solo Show at Greenberry's Coffee & Tea
6839 Redmond Drive, McLean, VA 22101
(703) 821-9501
Exhibit of six paintings including "Two Kittens," "Traffic Patterns," "Primary Colors," "Spanish Steps," "Second & Pine Streets," and "Sunlight, Sunflowers and Orange." Through June 30.

All-Media Membership Exhibit
The Art League Gallery, 105 N. Union Street, Alexandria, VA. "Artemis" won an Honorable Mention from juror Jerry Coulter. Also on view is "Peony and Rose" through August 5.


No comments: