Monday, April 15, 2013

Travels

Granddaddy's Trip Home
Last night we returned from an emotional and very special three days of Granddaddy's (my father-in-law's) journey back home to Burnsville, North Carolina. He passed away on March 22 but was watching over us as the Banks family gathered to share memories, shed tears, and bury his ashes right next to the love of his life on a mountain about as close to heaven as you could get.

French Bistro
"Seat By the Window: Montmartre" work in progress day 2, oil, 24"h x 36"w, Jill Banks 2013
Art is therapy. I should know why, but there's nothing as calming or life-affirming than creating something with your own hands.

Today I happily went back to work at "Seat By the Window: Montmartre." It may be my favorite painting at the moment, even if not yet done.

Laura's Farm
"Farm Doors" sketch, oil on Centurion linen, 16"h x 12"w,©Jill Banks 2013
Wednesday's Landscape class met at Laura Nichols' farm ... enjoying one of the most special places I know.  I was determined to give students the chance to set up and paint themselves, so started with a short plein air demo.  While giving an intro and talking about sketching the general shadow shapes in the sketchbook to form your plan, Laura's husband drove up and parked his station wagon in front of my main subject: this building and doors.  Good lesson. He did move and I painted for a bit.

Mountain Maryland Plein Air
Good news. I'll be one of 30 artists juried to paint Western Maryland for Mountain Maryland Plein Air from May 29 to June 1. This will be my first time participating in this event.  Can't wait!!!

Today, I was also asked to be one of the Catharine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club's selection jurors for their Annual Exhibit that takes place each year at the National Art Club in NYC.  I've been a juror for a few shows, but never a National one ... and look forward to understanding this process from the other side of the table. You can bet that I'll take this responsibility seriously.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: