Saturday, April 6, 2013

Back to Open Life and "Bunnies"

"Cascading Nude," oil, 16"h x 20"w, ©Jill Banks 2013
Today I returned to Open Life -- held at the McLean Community Center (in McLean, VA: go to www.mpaart.org/learning.php to download a PDF for a schedule) on Saturdays for a single long pose.  I was glad to be there, but it was a bit of rough going.  Some poses are more difficult than others and slight changes make big differences in proportions. 

If you've ever seen me paint, you'd know it's a pretty athletic process. I rock, pace, stand back ... a lot.  Each time I've gone to Open Life, I'm a little bit late. (Open hours at the Artists' Atelier are on Saturdays from noon to 4pm and open life starts at 4pm -- a little distance away.) Starting late means not getting a spot up front -- and generally setting up close to the where the easels are stored so that I can disturb the rest of the group as little as possible.  But ... when I stand back ... again often, I run into the easels making a racket.  Plus, it seems impossible for me to learn from that "mistake."

During open hours at the Atelier, I did start a painting from the Paris trip -- of the hamlet house and grounds built on the property of Versailles for Marie Antoinette.  I'd sketched there -- one of the outbuildings next to the lake and just loved the place.  Marie Antoinette was a smart one.  She wanted cozy and Versailles doesn't exactly qualify.

"Bunnies" are off to their new home.
"Bunnies" did go home with their new owner today.  She was so excited with her purchase -- which always makes me happy.  "Bunnies" new owner purchased "Stepping Out" -- my painting of two Belgian workhorses -- during last year's Studio Tour, so there is a growing menagerie from my Feathered and Furry Friends series happening at her house.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435


Events and Exhibits

Don't miss out. Sign up now for Spring Classes that start April 9 (Still Life in Oils -- but you can work on your own projects from reference materials in this class as well, Tuesdays, 9:30am-1:30pm, $375) and April 10 (Painting the Landscape, Wednesdays, 9:30am-1:30pm, $375 -- full of plein air adventures) offered through the Great Falls School of Art, Great Falls, VA.  Go to my web site: www.JillBanks.com, click on Classes for supply list and registration info.  You need to be pre-registered for classes -- especially for landscape -- to know where each class will be held. Class size is limited.  I hope you can join us!

More events and exhibit info available through my web site.  


No comments: