Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Mission San Xavier del Bac: Painting from Tucson

"White Dove of the Desert, in Pink," (of  the Mission San Xavier del Bac in Tucson, AZ), oil on linen-lined board, 12"h x 16"w, copyright Jill Banks 2012
On the last night of November's trip to Tucson and Tubac, Arizona -- I set up my easel in the front grounds of Mission San Xavier del Bac, also known as the White Dove of the Desert.  It was pretty late in the afternoon when I started.  Maybe 3pm when we got there.  A half hour later before finding a spot shady enough for me to handle.  (Shade is in short supply there.)

"Purple Mountain Majesty," oil, 12"h x 16"w, Jill Banks 2012, sold
We'd seen the mission -- white during our daytime travels.  Glowing with lights in the evening.  This was my first time seeing it change before my eyes ... and I've never seen more variation.  Each version of it was beautiful enough for me to want to paint those colors ... but by the time I'd mixed up my guess at that, the Mission became something else.

So, here it is, my plein air attempt modified to get closer to what it was at least at one moment in time.

Two other paintings from the trip are "Purple Mountain Majesty" (sold) and "Desert Garden." Painting there required a completely different palette. These three are unusual for me  ... but I loved the colors and light there.  Something to somehow weave into scenes and set ups closer to home.  Or, maybe I need to visit there again.

"Desert Garden," oil, 12"h x 16"w, Jill Banks 2012
I put up another blog post yesterday ... but too late for those of you who get these via email.  Go to: jillbanks.blogspot. com for the earlier post.

Also, tomorrow -- Wednesday, December 19 -- I'll be in the Artists' Atelier for open hours, noon-4pm -- the last "sure" day to be able to shop for art or cards or artful gifts there before Christmas.  (We will be open on Saturday, December 22 as well -- I just won't be there then.)  I hope you can come for a visit.  1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Events and Exhibits
Register now for Winter classes.  See my web site: www.JillBanks.com, Classes page for Still Life Painting in Oils and Draw, Paint, Sculpt the Portrait -- offered through the Great Falls School of Art, Great Falls, VA.


"Large Squares, Small Squares," Gallery at the Artists' Atelier, November 14-December 31. Open Hours: Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon to 4pm, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066. Closed: December 26.

No comments: