Monday, December 10, 2012

Birthday Celebrating at the National Gallery of Art

...With my favorite date.  (Husband, Randy.) This morning, I was trying to decide on a specific museum or show to see -- looking online for inspiration. What I chose started with lunch at a favorite spot -- the Garden Cafe at the National Gallery of Art's West Building. A great start.
"Trevi Fountain," oil, 14"h x 11"w was purchased by a new collector (to me) on Sunday at the Holiday Show

From the National Gallery of Art web site, one of Mary Borgman's charcoal drawings
The National Portrait Gallery's "Drawing on the Edge" Exhibit
After a tour, viewing some more of the rooms, and sitting down to draw one of the fountains (it's about halfway there -- to be finished at another time), it was off to the American Art Museum -- to see the Civil War art exhibit and around the corner to the National Portrait Gallery. At the Portrait Gallery, there is a six-person exhibit called "Drawing on the Edge" that's part of their Portraiture Now program.  Of the group, way-over-life-sized charcoal drawings created on Mylar by Mary Borgman were my favorites. Talk about power. Go to the Smithsonian Institution's National Portrait Gallery site: http://www.npg.si.edu/exhibit/drawing/ to view the "Drawing on the Edge" exhibit ... and then make it down there in person if you can.

Thank You For Your Support
I feel truly blessed to have people who care about my work, show up at events whenever they can, email and talk with me, read the blog, want to own one of my originals, cheer me on, agree to model for me, and decide to take a piece home with them. You are amazing!!!

You are why I get to paint and create as my life's work. Thank you!!!

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Events and Exhibits

"Large Squares, Small Squares," Gallery at the Artists' Atelier, November 14-December 31. Opening Reception: Friday, November 16, 6:30-8:30pm. Open Hours: Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon to 4pm, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066



No comments: