Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Home Studio Open House: Incredible!!!

My dining room: the morning after
"Dining Alfresco" -- off to a new home
Last night, Randy, my Mom and Dad and I held our fourth annual Home Studio Open House party: a get-together and big thank you to collectors, students and art shoppers. It was amazing! And pretty crazy. Guests were beaming from ear to ear ... wandering three floors filled with 154 paintings and drawings, with a room-by-room list of artwork in hand ... to mark which pieces call to them most.

The artwork was doing a lot of calling. 17 pieces earned red dots last night ... added to two more purchased last week -- that were still on display in the house. I was able to take Randy out to lunch today.

Randy: Right after the party
I was so excited, too, about each person's purchases. Favorite pieces are going to wonderful homes. I love that those collectors -- saw what I saw in the piece -- and loved it enough to want to take it home. I'd find out something had sold (Randy handles almost all purchases), then find out who bought it -- and was so glad it was them.  All night, purchasers and their selections were just perfectly paired. How great is that?

Walt and Maria with their painting: "Lunch in the Courtyard Café
While most of the collecting was done by guests who own several of my pieces, two new collectors succeeded in their goal to own one of my original oils. They've been on this hunt for a long time -- it was a very big deal!

That's enough about the art-buying stuff (although I'll list the ones moving away at the end of this post). The best part of last night was the people who came. (Though I really missed some of you who've come before but couldn't make it this time.) They are such great supporters that they make my "work" -- that's already ridiculously thrilling to do -- 100 times more rewarding. I'm so glad that they are a part of my life!

I used to feel guilty about not being able to spend much time talking to each guest. It isn't possible. What I've found is that this is an experience different than any other art event and that the fun of the event is about looking all around however each guest chooses. It's a self-guided tour with a few instructions given by my mom and dad.

View of my studio: looking better than ever!!!!

As it is, even with a six hour window (3 to 9pm), the four of us are moving every minute, working our tushies off (well, actually, mine's still there), to keep a record 88 guests super happy.  In the end, sort of a miracle, only one "goody" bag -- treats given to each guest when they left -- remained.  How'd that happen?

"Quick Hen" --  6"x 6", under new ownership. Painted on Laura's farm this Spring.
My mom and dad were unbelievable -- as they always are.  They offered the warmest of welcomes, provided lots of the food and drink, excelled at name tag duty, bartended -- you name it. Thank you, Mom and Dad!!!!

If I ever want to get pictures of the party in full swing, a photographer will have to be hired. Most of the photos I have are taken after the fact... minus the people, minus some paintings ... and minus lots of the glow our home (and the art) takes on at night. I'll try to take more ... and post them here of the almost-the-same parts of the house -- at night -- some day soon.

"Quiet," charcoal
So, that list. Going or gone to new homes from last night's event are:
  1. "Pomegranates"
  2. "Quiet"
  3. "Head Scarf & Red Skirt"
  4. "Murano Cat"
  5. "Buckingham Palace Fountain"
  6. "Over the Shoulder"
  7. "Dining Alfresco"
  8. "He Started It!"
  9. "Town Center Fountain"
  10. "Quick Hen"
  11. "Lemon Yellow"
  12. "Hudson River Morn, Jr."
  13. "On the Waterfront"
  14. "Purple Mountain Majesty"
  15. "Here's Looking at You, Kid"
  16. "Pool Room"
  17. "Lunch in the Courtyard Café"
"Town Center Fountain"  -- many guests wanted to go home with this one. One did.
And from just a couple of days ago:
  18. "Bringing Home the Tree"
  19. "Ride 'Em Cowgirl"

It's been a heck of a week. Thank you to all of you collecting my work. Wow!

"He Started It!," 12"h x 9"w, sold
You are invited to this weekend's Holiday Art Show and Sale presented by Great Falls Studios. December 8 & 9, 10am to 5pm at the Village Green Day School at 790 Walker Road (in the center of Great Falls, VA). There I'll be -- along with 23 other artists -- helping you spread some holiday cheer through the gift of original art. There will be a drawing for four $50 art bucks on Saturday -- for shoppers to use toward the purchase of work in the Holiday Show on Sunday. Each year, I do almost all of my Christmas present shopping there. It's a happy place to shop.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Events and Exhibits
Holiday Art Show and Sale, Saturday and Sunday, December 8 & 9, 10am - 5pm, Village Green Day School, 790 Walker Road, Great Falls, VA. 23 Great Falls Studios artists participating (including me).


"Pool Room," 6"h x 8"w was one of the paintings that went home with a new collector.

"Large Squares, Small Squares," Gallery at the Artists' Atelier, November 14-December 31. Opening Reception: Friday, November 16, 6:30-8:30pm. Open Hours: Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon to 4pm, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066


October 2 through December 6, Greenberry's Coffee & Tea, 6839 Redmond Drive, McLean, VA. Solo show of seven oil paintings celebrating coffee, friends and family and food.





No comments: