Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Lessons from the Past

"Rainy Morning Breakfast" is on view at the Torpedo Factory
Classes Start Next Week! Sign Up Now...

Go to my Classes page on the web site for Portrait Painting and Drawing (Mondays, 10am-1pm) and Still Life Painting in Oils (Tuesdays, 10am-1pm). Email me too if you're signing up to make sure there's a slot left for you. Both classes are almost full.

It's not like this has been a leisurely Summer, but up ahead is the change in pace that so many of you are feeling -- going back to work, school, more regular schedules and activities. I'm looking forward to ... and getting ready for ... starting teaching again after months' off.

Visiting Artist Program Exhibit
"Rainy Morning Breakfast" is one of the paintings from the Wayne Plein Air competition last May. That's husband Randy helping out as my model. This painting is on view this month at the Torpedo Factory as part of the Visiting Artist Program exhibit. 

Lessons from the Past
One of my jobs today was to try to regain control over my computer and photos... in an attempt to find some source photos I never located. What I did find, however, was some step-by-step views of my painting "Yellow Onions." My students have asked me to photograph my work in progress ... like every five or ten minutes or so. I can't really do that and paint decently, but this four-stage view does give you a general idea of how I pull a painting together.
The beginning: straight lines, just a guide for the composition
Stage 2: I indicated some shadows where they were obvious and started in with direct color



Stage 3: more color, thinking about the planes of the different onion, filling in the background helps with value comparisons
Finished. "Yellow Onions," oil, 8"h x 16"w, private collection.

Links Page
In addition to finding photos of "Yellow Onions" in progress, I updated the Links page on my newly refurbished web site. There you'll find links to art organizations, art suppliers, fellow studiomates at the Artists' Atelier, other artists' sites and blogs, etc. Please check it out at www.JillBanks.com.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Events and Exhibits
September 8-30, Visiting Artist Program Exhibit, Torpedo Factory, 105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA. "Rainy Morning Breakfast" and "Dining Alfresco" are on view.

Sunday, October 14, MPA Artfest Outdoor Juried Arts Festival, McLean Central Park, McLean, VA
Saturday and Sunday, October 20&21, Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, 10am-5pm, visit artists in their studios throughout Great Falls on a self-guided tour. I’ll be at the Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066

More October and November events are listed on my web site: www.JillBanks.com
 

1 comment:

Jerry Stocks said...

Love rainy day breakfast--know the pace pick up. Am back in school and busy, busy with homework. Have a great new teach, Alan Campbell. Check out his web site.