Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Doll Painting: Something New Today

"All Dolled Up and Nowhere To Go" demo painting
Today kicked off the new Fall term of classes with my "Still Life Painting in Oils" with returning and new students ... and I'm as excited as this very nice group is to be back in the classroom. A lot of fun and lots of new things taught and learned.

I've been immersed in Richard Schmid's "Alla Prima: Everything I Know About Painting" book, and using it as a tool to teach many lessons ... balanced with everything I (as in me) know about painting. We started today discussing three of my color charts so they can start the process on their own. It's complicated ... but I believe they see the value in it.

Then I gave a demo ... resulting, after seven extra hours beyond class time in this painting, "All Dolled Up and Nowhere To Go" ... my first (I think) painting that included a doll. Normally, I go "shopping" all around my house ... with reinforcements from the grocery store ... for objects to use for the class still life setups. No such luck for this week, with the great majority of my household stuff still stored in a moving truck from two months ago. (It lands here tomorrow, along with hungry and thirsty movers waiting for guidance on where to put the twice-as-much furniture than we need.) So, my still life shopping trip took me to my mom and dad's condo ... which has layer upon layer of all this great stuff. My dad and I were both circling the place. Most (if not all) of the best picks were his. I must have rolled my eyes or made a face of some sort when he picked up the wooden screen -- that's used in the painting scene -- because he told me that it'd be great. Trust him. See, Dad ... you were right!

Even using the doll is a homage to Richard Schmid who paints them beautifully and often. I was lukewarm about the idea ... but I had a blast painting this. It pays to keep an open mind.

My portrait class starts next week. Looking forward to that, too. It's going to be a great Fall session. So glad so many people signed up and share my enthusiasm.

Be sure to check out my previous post about exhibits coming up ... and mark your calendars. All the best events are happening SOON.

"All Dolled Up and Nowhere to Go" work in progress, 16"h x 20"w, oil on Senso linen, copyright Jill Banks 2010.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: