Saturday, April 10, 2010

Great Day at the Spring Art Show and Sale: Come Out Tomorrow

So tomorrow (Sunday, April  11)... come if you can ... to the Great Falls Studios Spring Art Show and Sale, 10am-5pm, 10201 Colvin Run Road, Great Falls, VA 22066.

I had a great time today -- visiting with Great Falls Studios art events regulars and newcomers and talking about my favorite subject ... art. It wasn't an easy, or short day though. Usually for this weekend event, we've been able to set up on Friday late afternoon and then takedown on Sunday evening with clean-up on Monday morning. This time around, there were dances scheduled for Friday, Saturday and Sunday night in the space ... so we had to setup at 6:00am this morning, takedown and unload everything at 5pm tonight ... setup tomorrow at 6:00 am and takedown and cleanup everything again at 5pm tomorrow night ... all packed up etc. by 7:00pm. Yikes. Yuck.

I received phenomenal feedback today. (I like that.)  Included in my "booth" are three framed drawings from the Rome/Florence trip that I returned from this past Monday ... plus seven other drawings that are matted and ready to frame. I sold one drawing from Florence: "Santa Croce" with lots of interest in "Basilica of Constantine and Maxenthius" (a drawing from the Forum in Rome). Honestly, every painting/drawing piqued the interest of many. That's something I always find fascinating. And rewarding.

Three paintings were perhaps the top contenders for the most popular award. "Lemons, Sunflowers and the Blue Teakettle" (painting in third photo)... my painting of happiness on linen, "Tranquility" (the portrait of the woman in oriental dress, teapot and cups shown in the top photo) and "Rainy Day in NYC" (painting at top left in the second photo from the top). Still, again, every painting found some friends.

These events help make me a better artist plus I love them. I benefit (and greatly enjoy) the comraderie of a great group of artist friends and direct feedback from art enthusiasts. It's vital.

The photos were taken so that I could setup my booth similarly (or not) tomorrow morning at 6am... so  I wasn't trying to show off my photography skills. Translation: they aren't that great. So, come see what it looks like in person. If you can.

Booth photos (top 3 photos)
Bottom photo: "Santa Croce" drawing, ink, watercolor wash, pencil, copyright Jill Banks 2010. Sold.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435


No comments: