Monday, January 19, 2009

"Sweet Temptation" Cupcake Painting


"Sweet Temptation" is the result of natural selection at the Conscious Bean, the coffee shop across the street from my studio in Great Falls. This plate was sitting on the counter while I ordered a healthy salad. This arrangement wasn't orchestrated by me ... but instead by customers buying the cupcakes that are no longer on the plate. This, I guess, is a new form of collaborative art-making.

"Sweet Temptation", oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2009.

I've been thinking about luck lately ... for lots of reasons, but for three at the moment.

Luck ... gave me this attractive still life to paint.

Luck was a subject in the "Mastering the Business of Art" workshop I gave last week. A pretty sound theory is that good fortune (or success) happens when luck meets preparation. Luck happens all the time. We just have to be ready for it.

Luck was a part of the formula leading Chelsea 32, the NYC gallery, to contact me and carry my work. They found me through the Great Falls Studios web site ... which links to mine, and through it to this blog, that shows work that fit their vision for their gallery. So, I had painted and posted the right work when the breeze blew by. See a little more about Chelsea 32 in my previous post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you that I love this painting. I own a business in North Carolina named Sweet Temptations. Are you interested in selling this? I look forward to hearing from you. Feel free to visit my website or email me: jmpodair@triad.rr.com