Monday, January 19, 2009

An Old "New" Favorite: Alla Prima Portrait



Last Thursday night, after returning from teaching at the Loudoun Academy of Art, I decided to take another look at some of my not-so-recent paintings to see if any of them might be good to show the Chelsea 32 gallery folks the next day. (Sorry, long sentence.) I came across this one ... a head study I painted alla prima (all at once, or in a single sitting) of John Irvine, a favorite model. I loved the painting -- but the paint was dull and flat -- something that almost always happens as the paint dries. So, I varnished it, along with many other paintings, with Gamblin's Gamvar Picture Varnish, a favorite varnish of mine. Voila! This painting, with its great "bones" became a real jewel. Thus, an old "new" favorite. Or is it the other way around?

See more artwork inspired by John on these two older posts: post 1, post 2 (John's holding his cane).

They didn't choose this one -- so it's resting in the Atelier waiting for a new owner.

"Study of John," oil on Raymar panel, 14"h x 11"w, copyright Jill Banks 2007.

No comments: