Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Hersheys Kiss and Opening Reception Tonight at the Art League


These should probably be two separate posts -- but... Tonight's the opening reception at the Art League for the "Small Works" show where my painting "Orange Peeled" won Best of Show, the Bob Hof Award. The reception's from 6:30 to 9:30 with the Award Ceremony starting around 7pm. The Art League is located at 105 N. Union Street, Alexandria, VA.








The "Small Works" show was juried by Dr. Susan Frank, assistant curator at the Phillips Collection. Here's an excerpt from the Jurors Dialogue written by Erica Fortwengler at the Art League:
"I was looking for something a little different – a fresh take on a traditional subject such as still life, figure, landscape. I have a particular fondness for still life. I am interested to see how an artist can take a traditional subject like still life and make it new and interesting."

The pieces Frank selected as award winners are reflective of the works seen throughout the show. Frank awarded "Orange Peeled," by Jill Banks best in show. "This is a fresh take on still life, a different perspective."


"Hershey's Kiss" is the latest painting a day. The reflections in the wrapper are tough! It's a slightly different size, 6"h x 4"w, oil on stretched canvas. Most of the paintings you see on this blog are for sale. For the little ones -- the paintings a day pieces, I'm still trying to figure out a price, but I'll entertain any offers. Pretend like this is Priceline. Email me at jillbanks1@aol.com or call 703.403.7435. I'm thinking about getting set up on Ebay to try to make purchases easier. I do accept Mastercard and Visa payments. "Hershey's Kiss" copyright Jill Banks 2008.

No comments: