Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Three From En Plein Air Texas 2016

"Late Long Shadows," oil, 16"h x 12"w, ©2016 Jill Banks
Three of the twelve-plus canvases painted in and around San Angelo, Texas last week stayed there ... now in new homes but others headed back with me or are yet to arrive here ... being shipped. I hadn't packed my camera so the shipped and paintings with new owners will miss out on decent photos. (I still might show them to you later.)

"Late Long Shadows" was one of two paintings I chose as my competition pieces. It's a near nocturne -- painted rapidly as the sun worked its way toward the horizon line behind Palmer Feed in San Angelo, Texas. Every second seemed to bring new shadows and altered colors to the industrial buildings on site. While the painting was completed quickly (of necessity), I'd scoped out the area for days -- figuring out where to set up and when.

My Saturday Quick Draw painting was "Morning Paper" -- with husband Randy helping me out by "reading" his way into the scene.  The architecture in town is striking making the resulting shadows even more so.

"Morning Paper," oil, 12"h x 16"w, ©2016 Jill Banks -- my Quick Draw painting

I had so much fun this week -- meeting fellow artists, San Angelo residents, a wonderful host, organizers and supporters, enthusiasts. What a warm welcome they provided.

I'll write about my favorite moments sometime soon in the next edition of my monthly email newsletter. Have you subscribed to it at www.JillBanks.com? Hope so!

The last of the three for today's post is "Vineyard Vistas" -- a scene that captures my view at the Christoval Winery and fellow artist Nancie King Mertz capturing hers as well. Painter painting a painter. What a pretty place!

"Vineyard Vistas," oil, 12"h x 16"w, ©2016 Jill Banks -- capturing Nancie King Mertz painting in the Christoval Vineyard
Friday, November 4: First Friday Art Walk in the Village
Come see these paintings and many more at the Artists' Atelier at 756 Walker Road, Great Falls, VA 22066 from 6 to 9pm on November 4.  Hope to see you there in my studio and venture on to two more joint studios and an opening of this month's art exhibit by AHH studios in our adjacent gallery. Lots of art and a great night out on the town.

Thanks for reading!
Jill Banks
www.JillBanks.com

Best in Show -- BoldBrush Painting Competition September 2016 for "Daily Special" -- Hip Hooray! More info here.  
Blog: For my latest news and works, visit or subscribe to my blog Life as an Artist at jillbanks.blogspot.com
(Please like that page if you like it...)

No comments: